Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ajmerasunny <su...@infosys.com> on 2009/03/29 12:04:00 UTC

Where to Place .dll files in TOMCAT?

Hi All,
      I have a java web application running on TOMCAT 6.0 which is accessing
few .dll files.I am getting "UnsatisfiedLinkError" while running my
application. I have copied these .dll files in System32 folder. Could anyone
please tell me where should i place these .dll files to get my app working.

Please help.

Regards, Sunny

Re: Where to Place .dll files in TOMCAT?

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"ajmerasunny" <su...@infosys.com> wrote in message

> Hi All,
>      I have a java web application running on TOMCAT 6.0 which is
> accessing
> few .dll files.I am getting "UnsatisfiedLinkError" while running my
> application. I have copied these .dll files in System32 folder. Could
> anyone
> please tell me where should i place these .dll files to get my app
> working.
>
> Please help.

If you are running as a service, using the standard Tomcat wrapper, then you
should place the dll files in the same directory as tomcat6.exe (usually
%CATALINA_HOME%\bin).  If you are running from the startup.bat script, then
they need to be somewhere on the %PATH%.

I wouldn't recommend placing dll files in System32 unless absolutely there
is no other option.  However, if it isn't working with the dll files in
System32, then you are missing dll files that they depend on in the %PATH%
(aka dll-hell ;).

Posted by Gregor Schneider <rc...@googlemail.com>.
Martin,

I believe the OP doesn't know what an .so-file is.

I'm also not sure if there's something like "execute-privileges" in Windows.

Besides, he's talking about Tomcat 6, and I can't find anything like a
"shared"-folder in Tomcat 6.

My knowledge about all this library-stuff on MS Windows (btw: Which
version? Vista? XP?) is quite limited, but I believe it's a bad idea
in general just putting this stuff into a system-folder like system32.

If those libraries are called via JNI (which is something I also
dislike), they have to be put into $CATALINA_HOME/lib.

You also have to set the Java-property java.library.path accordingly.

A brief overview can be found here:
http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=780109

Please note that this description is for Tomcat 5 - meaning don't put
them into lib/shared but into lib.

My preferred solution would be to put those dlls int
[your_app/WEB-INF/lib] so that a strict separation from your app-files
and Tomcat is maintained, however, I believe that setting the property
java.library.path within your webapp won't help since the
Tomcat-class-loader might interfere, but I'm not sure about that -
comments on that, anyone?

Rgds

Gregor
--
just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you...
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2

RE: Where to Place .dll files in TOMCAT?

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
place jar file in the $TOMCAT_HOME/shared/lib
place the .so in $TOMCAT_HOME/shared/lib

JAVA_OPTS:
java.library.path=$TOMCAT_HOME/shared/lib

and of course ensure $TOMCAT_HOME/shared/lib has execute privileges.
HTH
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note

This message is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, we kindly ask you to  please inform the sender. Any unauthorised dissemination or copying hereof is prohibited. This message serves for information purposes only and shall not have any legally binding effect. Given that e-mails can easily be subject to manipulation, we can not accept any liability for the content provided.

> Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 03:04:00 -0700
> From: sunny_ajmera@infosys.com
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> Subject: Where to Place .dll files in TOMCAT?
>

> Hi All,
>       I have a java web application running on TOMCAT 6.0 which is accessing
> few .dll files.I am getting "UnsatisfiedLinkError" while running my
> application. I have copied these .dll files in System32 folder. Could anyone
> please tell me where should i place these .dll files to get my app working.
>
> Please help.
>
> Regards, Sunny

Internet Explorer 8 – Get your Hotmail Accelerated.  Download free!
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/141323790/direct/01/