Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> on 2013/02/12 05:28:59 UTC

Re: Contributing to Apache SIS

Dear Pathum,

Just checking if you had a chance to join up on the SIS lists and contribute?

Thanks and hope you are well. I'm going to CC my reply to you on the SIS lists, and we can continue the conversation there. Thank you and welcome to the community!

Cheers,
Chris

From: Pathum Mudannayake <pa...@maine.edu>>
Date: Monday, February 4, 2013 11:59 AM
To: jpluser <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>>
Subject: Re: Contributing to Apache SIS

Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for your informative reply. I will go through the steps you mentioned and try to contribute to the project in my fullest capacity.

Best,
Pathum

On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>> wrote:
Hi Pathum,

Thank you for contracting me and for reaching out! Your background seems like it would be most welcomed and great to have around in Apache SIS :)

The first step to participating in the project will be to:

  2.  To do #1 above, you send a blank email to dev-subscribe@sis.apache.org<ma...@sis.apache.org>, user-subscribe@sis.apache.org<ma...@sis.apache.org>, and commits-subscribe@sis.apache.org<ma...@sis.apache.org> and follow the instructions from the EZMLM mailing server.
  3.  Then, take a look at the issues filed in SIS JIRA: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SIS, and also at the code here: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sis/
  4.  If you have ideas, or things that you'd like to propose or to be part of the SIS project, please start communicating and proposing them by sending email to dev@sis.apache.org<ma...@sis.apache.org>. That's the developer discussion list where the rest of the community is. As you send more emails, and have more ideas, and contribute to the discussion and eventually code/documentation/etc. you will earn merit in the community and eventually be elected a member of the project. We are very inclusive and follow the Apache way and thus don't have any insurmountable barriers to participating. On the contrary we welcome your help! :)
  5.  There are a few branches of SIS development, centered around JDK6 and JDK7 support, trunk support, etc. It's best to check out the mailing archives, and posts by Martin D who has been doing a ton of work lately to get SIS into shape: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/sis-dev/

Next step is to send a mail to the list, check out the SVN repository and the code that's there in trunk and to see if you can get involved in the 0.3 upcoming release.

Thanks for your interest and looking forward to collaborating!

Cheers,
Chris

From: Pathum Mudannayake <pa...@maine.edu>>
Date: Friday, February 1, 2013 9:50 AM
To: "mattmann@apache.org<ma...@apache.org>" <ma...@apache.org>>
Subject: Contributing to Apache SIS

Dear Chris,

I am a doctoral graduate student at the University of Maine in the department of Spatial Information Science and Engineering. I got extremely interested in contributing to Apache SIS project after going through the information in the website.

My research is formal and is on topological spatial reasoning (semantic topological change to be exact). I would love if there is some way to contribute to the SIS project with the kind of background I have.

I have not contributed to any open source software project so far (yet I have previous software development and project management experience); but believe could become  productive in the project. I hope you could provide me some direction as to how I could become a contributor.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best,
Pathum