Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Maricris Villareal <ar...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/30 20:28:11 UTC

term vector - WITH_POSITIONS_OFFSETS vs YES in terms of search performance

Hi,

Could someone tell me the effect (if any) of having term vectors set to
WITH_POSITIONS_OFFSETS vs YES in terms of search performance?  I did some
testing and the results were inconclusive.  In one case,
WITH_POSITIONS_OFFSETS was searched faster than YES, in all others, it was
the reverse.  Is the performance effect only at indexing time?

Thanks.

Maricris Villareal

Re: term vector - WITH_POSITIONS_OFFSETS vs YES in terms of search performance

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
The performance impact should only be at indexing time, unless you
actually retrieve the vectors for some number of hits at search time.

Mike