Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@covalent.net> on 1999/02/09 01:51:27 UTC

Module Magic Number and binary module compatibility

I've been trying to get some time looking at the module interface from
a binary module viewpoint.

It seems that one really simple solution would be to give the decision
to the module as to whether to run based on the compiled in MMN. Does
this not make more sense? The module should have more knowledge about
whether it can deal with the available API and even perhaps accomodate
the differences.

Thoughts?

Re: Module Magic Number and binary module compatibility

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.
> I've been trying to get some time looking at the module interface from
> a binary module viewpoint.
>
> It seems that one really simple solution would be to give the decision
> to the module as to whether to run based on the compiled in MMN. Does
> this not make more sense? The module should have more knowledge about
> whether it can deal with the available API and even perhaps accomodate
> the differences.

Accomodate the difference at run-time?  Looking through all the '#if
MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER >= XXX' blocks in the PHP module it could get
extremely ugly to do this.  But possible, I guess.

-Rasmus