Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Sliman Bouchareb <sl...@gmx.de> on 2003/06/28 21:08:06 UTC

add user to unix

hello experts,
i have a small applikation where the users can log in in to a portalpage
(mysql-database), if they are not in the database they can create a user
account (user,pass).
what i want is when they create a useraccount, that a user be automatically
created also under unix to a usergroup which have less priviliges, this
allow them to connect the workstation by using telnet.

first i thought this is impossible to do, but i read some postings in other
forums and there are 3 possibilities:

1- when a user create a user-account: a java class create a file with user
and pass and a cronjob look everytime to the file if there are new user odr
not, if yes so he can add them

2- a java class which add the user under unix
3- a java class which calls a shell script

is there any one who can tell me how i can realise this, i think the most
simply is possibility 3, but how i can do that ?

thanx
Sliman

RE: add user to unix

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
With Runtime.exec() but you need to read up heavily on it's use and/or
ask about it on a more appropriate general java list or forum.

I can tell you quickly that anytime you need to use exec() you should
look into a threaded approach to handle parsing the standard error and
standard out streams of your native process or you risk a hung jvm.

Geoff