Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de> on 2002/09/07 01:28:03 UTC

CSS media="print"

* Andr� Malo wrote:

> yep. I'm currently working on some "pretty printing" CSS.

so, created a version... you may review it ;-)

please note: it's not designed to replace the current 100pc-loose style.
I personally would like to add this style to the other ones. If so,
there's a patch for common.xsl attached (sorry for clogging the
internet... ;-))

If you wanna see it live, on <http://test.perlig.de/apdoc/manual/> I
replaced the manual.css by manual-print.css, so there's no need of
wasting paper.

The printer's CSS does mainly change the following things:

* blind out the navigation sections
* turn mostly to b/w
  (currently except the module/directive links, I'm a bit unsure about
  modifying them)
* removing ink wasting background colors

nd
--
package Hacker::Perl::Another::Just;print
qq~@{[reverse split/::/ =>__PACKAGE__]}~;

#  Andr� Malo  #  http://www.perlig.de  #

Re: CSS media="print"

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> An alternative is to do something similar to what lynx -dump does, and
> provide a bibliography.  In the document viewed online, we display
> either 'see here' oe 'see here[12]' as a normal link; in a
> formatted-for-printing version, we use the latter exclusively.  And in
> both cases we provide a <dl> list at the end with the references and
> the actual URLs for the links:
>
> [12]   http://example.com/something2see.html

hmm. Would be nice, IMHO, but would require content changes. Currently
the manual-print.css does the only work. (we had to add the <dl>
generally and blind it out via CSS for normal screen view).

Another suggestion:

#page-content p > a[href]:after {
  content: " (\002197\0000A0" attr(href) ") ";
  color: #036;
}

This works for me in mozilla and opera 6 ;-) [both win32] it puts an
"([arrow] linktarget)" after the normal links and colors it with blue.

Unfortunately Opera 5 doesn't support Unicode, so the arrow will be
shown as a long long dash there (*grrr*)

A simpler variant then could be:

#page-content p > a[href]:after {
  content: " <" attr(href) "> ";
  color: #036;
}

All of this is not supported by the majority of browsers, e.g. the IE
doesn't do anything with this (But I can easily live with that...)

nd
--
Gefunden auf einer "Webdesigner"-Seite:

# André Malo # http://www.perlig.de/ #

Re: CSS media="print"

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Luiz Rocha wrote:

>   Well, if the printable version keeps the link colors, the user can print
> it in colors and will have the references.

An alternative is to do something similar to what lynx -dump does, and provide
a bibliography.  In the document viewed online, we display either 'see here'
oe 'see here[12]' as a normal link; in a formatted-for-printing version, we
use the latter exclusively.  And in both cases we provide a <dl> list at
the end with the references and the actual URLs for the links:

[12]   http://example.com/something2see.html
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: CSS media="print"

Posted by Luiz Rocha <lu...@lsdr.net>.
On Sunday September 8 2002 22:00, André Malo wrote:

> However, underlining is [on paper] not the usual way to show that
> there's a reference. I played around with some arrows before the links,
> but the browser support for that is bad. I would leave it not underlined
> for better readablity.

  I agree, is not the best way to show references and is somewhat confusing
in terms of readability. But I don't know a better way, and I think is
actually nice to show the references.

Luiz Rocha  <lu...@lsdr.net>

Re: CSS media="print"

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>> > That's probably true :-)
>>
>>   On the other hand, the underline states that there is some
>>   reference on
>>the underlined topic. To someone checking the docs for the first time
>>or someone not familiar with Apache, this could be good.
>
> For terms and definitions in the directive blocks???  please... hover
> works.

on paper? ;-)
hehe, the discussion becomes a bit confusing...

However, underlining is [on paper] not the usual way to show that
there's a reference. I played around with some arrows before the links,
but the browser support for that is bad. I would leave it not underlined
for better readablity.

> Just a side note... it's amazing how my 10 and 13 year old have no
> problem discovering completely un demarcated links where no adult
> would ever think to click :-)  Some differentiation is required for us
> 'old folks' ;-)

;-)

nd
--
If God intended people to be naked, they would be born that way.
  -- Oscar Wilde

Re: CSS media="print"

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 06:58 PM 9/6/2002, Luiz Rocha wrote:
>On Saturday September 7 2002 01:41, André Malo wrote:
>
> > > 1. Why not wipe-out all the underlines?  They certainly don't do any
> > > good on paper and they do make the reading harder.
> >
> > That's probably true :-)
>
>   On the other hand, the underline states that there is some reference on
>the underlined topic. To someone checking the docs for the first time or
>someone not familiar with Apache, this could be good.

For terms and definitions in the directive blocks???  please... hover works.

Underlining distracts, the docs folks have made terrific strides in using color
to distinguish the text, let's follow that pattern.

For a true external hyperlink, sure.  For the simple terms, colorized text
works much more effectively without distracting.

Just a side note... it's amazing how my 10 and 13 year old have no
problem discovering completely un demarcated links where no adult
would ever think to click :-)  Some differentiation is required for us
'old folks' ;-)

Bill

Re: CSS media="print"

Posted by Luiz Rocha <lu...@lsdr.net>.
On Saturday September 7 2002 01:41, André Malo wrote:

> > 1. Why not wipe-out all the underlines?  They certainly don't do any
> > good on paper and they do make the reading harder.
>
> That's probably true :-)

  On the other hand, the underline states that there is some reference on
the underlined topic. To someone checking the docs for the first time or
someone not familiar with Apache, this could be good.

Luiz Rocha

Re: CSS media="print"

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> 1. Why not wipe-out all the underlines?  They certainly don't do any
> good on paper and they do make the reading harder.

That's probably true :-)

> 2. I think I would keep the section, directive, and see-also indexes.
> They make a good summary for someone glancing at the page who wants to
> know what is there.

hmm, I'm 50/50 about that. however, readded them for now (without the
arrow images, it looks better, I think)

nd
--
Real programmers confuse Christmas and Halloween because
DEC 25 = OCT 31.  -- Unknown

                                      (found in ssl_engine_mutex.c)

Re: CSS media="print"

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
André Malo wrote:
> * André Malo wrote:
>

>>yep. I'm currently working on some "pretty printing" CSS.
>

> so, created a version... you may review it ;-)

> The printer's CSS does mainly change the following things:
>
> * blind out the navigation sections
> * turn mostly to b/w
>   (currently except the module/directive links, I'm a bit unsure about
>   modifying them)
> * removing ink wasting background colors

Looks good.  A couple suggestions:

1. Why not wipe-out all the underlines?  They certainly don't do any
good on paper and they do make the reading harder.

2. I think I would keep the section, directive, and see-also indexes.
They make a good summary for someone glancing at the page who wants to
know what is there.

Joshua.