Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Skip Montanaro <sk...@pobox.com> on 2008/02/28 14:30:28 UTC

Is there common structure to a Subversion repository?

I'm a relative Subversion novice.  I use it for a few open source
projects like Python, but I generally use the barest set of commands
and only check in/out to/from the trunk.  I'm used to seeing a
branch/trunk structure that looks like what I see here:

    http://svn.python.org/view/python/

At work we've recently begun using Subversion for some stuff, but
still mostly use CVS.  I am working on an installation script which
will need to pull source code from either CVS or Subversion.  Alas,
the structure I see in the one repository I have access to at the
moment looks like this:

    project
    project/ABC
    project/ABC/config

Nowhere do I see anything like the branches, tags and trunk directories
in the Python repository.  Am I missing something or are those
directories just named and located by convention?

Thanks,

Skip Montanaro

Re: Is there common structure to a Subversion repository?

Posted by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org>.
Skip Montanaro wrote:
> At work we've recently begun using Subversion for some stuff, but
> still mostly use CVS.  I am working on an installation script which
> will need to pull source code from either CVS or Subversion.  Alas,
> the structure I see in the one repository I have access to at the
> moment looks like this:
>
>     project
>     project/ABC
>     project/ABC/config
>
> Nowhere do I see anything like the branches, tags and trunk directories
> in the Python repository.  Am I missing something or are those
> directories just named and located by convention?

There is no *required* layout and there are several conventions that you
can choose from:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.reposadmin.planning.html#svn.reposadmin.projects.chooselayout

Actually reading (or even *gasp* purchasing) the entire book is strongly
recommended for new users.  There is even an appendix specifically
devoted to refugees from CVS-land... ;-)

John

Re: Is there common structure to a Subversion repository?

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Skip Montanaro <sk...@pobox.com> wrote:
> I'm a relative Subversion novice.  I use it for a few open source
>  projects like Python, but I generally use the barest set of commands
>  and only check in/out to/from the trunk.  I'm used to seeing a
>  branch/trunk structure that looks like what I see here:
>
>     http://svn.python.org/view/python/
>
>  At work we've recently begun using Subversion for some stuff, but
>  still mostly use CVS.  I am working on an installation script which
>  will need to pull source code from either CVS or Subversion.  Alas,
>  the structure I see in the one repository I have access to at the
>  moment looks like this:
>
>     project
>     project/ABC
>     project/ABC/config
>
>  Nowhere do I see anything like the branches, tags and trunk directories
>  in the Python repository.  Am I missing something or are those
>  directories just named and located by convention?

These blog posts might help:

http://blogs.open.collab.net/svn/2007/04/subversion_repo.html
http://blogs.open.collab.net/svn/2007/04/single_reposito.html

--