Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ar...@betasystems.com on 2004/10/06 10:46:21 UTC

svn+ssh access mode error, please help

Hi,

im trying to tunnel via ssh to my repository with:

svnserve -t -r /usr/local

and when trying this:

sles9:~/test> svn list svn+ssh://<server>/repos/

I get the following message:

Password:
bash: line 1: svnserve: command not found
subversion/libsvn_ra_svn/marshal.c:251: (apr_err=210002)
svn: Connection closed unexpectedly

I'm evaluating Subversion 1.1.0 rc4 with Apache2.0.49

any ideas?

thanks in advance for possible hints.
Arash

Re: svn+ssh access mode error, please help

Posted by Anthony Metcalf <an...@anferny.ath.cx>.
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:20:20 +0200
ark-d@betasystems.com wrote:

> Anthony,
>
> yes, both users, the root user which runs svnserve and I as test user
> do have the */bin's in our PATH.
>
> after I will be prompted for Password: and type a wrong password I'll
> be prompted again, it means I'll be authenticated correctly,
> but afterwards, if I type the correct password I'll get:
>
>  bash: line 1: svnserve: command not found
>
> even as the root user which has svnserve in his PATH, I will get this
> error.
>
> I didn't had this problem with svn 1.0.6 on SuSE 9 professional, now
> that I'm using SLES9 with SVN 1.1 rc4,  I'm running into such
> mysterious difficulties.
>
> I think there are some permission problems.
>
> Thank You very much anyway.
>
> Nice Regards from Berlin,
> Arash

Then I can be of no more help.

I should say though that on my system, the user could loging locally and
use subversion without error. It was only when logging in over ssh that
I got the error, and placing the line I said in .bashrc fixed the
problem.

Re: svn+ssh access mode error, please help

Posted by Anthony Metcalf <an...@anferny.ath.cx>.
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 12:46:21 +0200
ark-d@betasystems.com wrote:

> I get the following message:
>
> Password:
> bash: line 1: svnserve: command not found
> subversion/libsvn_ra_svn/marshal.c:251: (apr_err=210002)
> svn: Connection closed unexpectedly
>
> I'm evaluating Subversion 1.1.0 rc4 with Apache2.0.49
>
> any ideas?
>
> thanks in advance for possible hints.

I was having the same problem. Does the user you are connecting as
posses a .bashrc? Does it set up the path?

Mine didn't, I got around the problem by adding in a .bashrc with the
line:
export PATH="/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH"

Hope that helps