Posted to commits@couchdb.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2012/05/01 00:15:22 UTC

[Couchdb Wiki] Update of "ContributorWorkflow" by DaveCottlehuber

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Couchdb Wiki" for change notification.

The "ContributorWorkflow" page has been changed by DaveCottlehuber:
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/ContributorWorkflow?action=diff&rev1=12&rev2=13

Comment:
more detailed git-fu

   * from the [[http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb|official Apache servers]]
   * on [[http://github.com/apache/couchdb|GitHub]]

- For example, to fork the CouchDB repository, from your shell you would run:
+ For example, to fork the CouchDB repository, and set up a new local branch that tracks master, from your shell you would run:

  {{{
  $ git clone http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb.git
+ $ cd couchdb
+ $ git checkout -t origin/master
  }}}

  == Working in git ==
@@ -54, +56 @@

  ==== Update your master branch ====

- We're assuming you have cloned the docs repository as per the example above, and have the docs repository set up as a "couchdb" remote, with your own fork as the "origin". Let's first make sure your fork is up-to-date.
+ We're assuming you have cloned the CouchDB repository as per the example above, and have the docs repository set up as a "couchdb" remote, with your own fork as the "origin". Let's first make sure your fork is up-to-date, by retrieving new commits from the canonical ASF repo (origin) and then merging them as a fast-forward into our repo.

  {{{
  $ git checkout master
- $ git pull couchdb master
+ $ git fetch origin
+ $ git merge --ff-only origin/master
+ }}}
+
+ If the merge fails, then your master branch has diverged from the ASF one. Normally this is not desirable as when you push patches back they may not be able to be applied cleanly.
+
  $ git push origin master
  }}}