Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Kevin <fo...@kegcl.demon.co.uk> on 2005/10/07 19:21:05 UTC

Re: General approach to backward compatibility (was: Re: Cleaning up html-processing)

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 06:22 -0400, addi wrote:
> On Friday October 07 2005 3:06 am, Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> > Ross Gardler wrote:
> > > One of our community has raised a concern,
> > > we have to address it. In this case I feel the call is yours as to
> > > whether the changes stay or not (others will speak up if they have an
> > > opinion).
> >
> > Yes 'others' please do!
>
> Just piping up to say that I definitely agree that this is a fix that needs to
> be addressed.  I think an explanation in the upgrade docs will suffice.

Yes adding a note to docs sounds good. My concern was a maybe and
I did say unlikely.

Kevin

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> Issues should probably be described at our Jira.
> When closing it, declare the svn revision number
> that fixed it. Also in the svn commit, show the
> Jira issue number.

A little time saving hint:

There is no need to put the revision number in Jira as long as you put
the JIRA number in the commit message (which you should do anyway). Jira
will provide links directly to the viewsvn pages for that particular
commit (including revision number).

Ross

Re: General approach to backward compatibility (was: Re: Cleaning up html-processing)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> OK, since we all seem to agree on this I will write some piece for the
> updated docs next week and leave the changes.

Every major change should also be listed in
site-author/status.xml file. A brief note would
suffice and link to other info, such as the updating_*.html
and the Jira Issuue number.

That way people who use the current head SVN
are notified, and it builds the list of Changes.

Issues should probably be described at our Jira.
When closing it, declare the svn revision number
that fixed it. Also in the svn commit, show the
Jira issue number.

The tricky part is knowing when to do such effort
for the documentation.

-David

Re: General approach to backward compatibility (was: Re: Cleaning up html-processing)