Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Unger Richard <ru...@camino.at> on 2002/09/16 16:23:29 UTC

Roles in Slide

Hi!

I'm working on some code dealing with the users and groups in slide, and I
am having trouble with some points. Please let me know if I am wrong on
anything...

1. As I understand it, slide stores users in the /user directory (or
whereever 'usersPath' is configured in the namespace). Groups are simply
collections within the user directory, which contain links to users, or
users themselves.
2. There are a number of predefined 'actions' (eg: create-object,
grant-permission, modify-revision-metadata) which are mapped to
action-objects on the slide file-system. The mapping between actions and
action-objects seems to be many to many.
3. A permission maps an action-object to a slide-user, group or role for a
given slide-object, optionally marking the permission inheritable, or
negative.

4. What is the main idea behind roles in slide? Tomcat (and java security in
general) use roles to define what slide is calling 'actions'.

5. Can a user have more than one role? It seems to me a special java class
would have to be created for the user, implementing the role interfaces of
all the roles the user should have.

It seems to me that slide's system is quite flexible, but the mapping to the
more conventional java system should be clear. On the one hand, the
action-objects or action-nodes on the slide filesystem have some aspects of
roles, but I think there needs to be a way of dynamically creating roles in
slide, and assigning them to users and groups. Perhaps a /roles directory
with roles-nodes that can be created instead of the Roles classes?

Richie

Re: Roles in Slide

Posted by "B. Shadgar" <sh...@compsci.bristol.ac.uk>.
Unger Richard wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm working on some code dealing with the users and groups in slide, and I
> am having trouble with some points. Please let me know if I am wrong on
> anything...
>
> 1. As I understand it, slide stores users in the /user directory (or
> whereever 'usersPath' is configured in the namespace). Groups are simply
> collections within the user directory, which contain links to users, or
> users themselves.
> 2. There are a number of predefined 'actions' (eg: create-object,
> grant-permission, modify-revision-metadata) which are mapped to
> action-objects on the slide file-system. The mapping between actions and
> action-objects seems to be many to many.
> 3. A permission maps an action-object to a slide-user, group or role for a
> given slide-object, optionally marking the permission inheritable, or
> negative.
>
> 4. What is the main idea behind roles in slide? Tomcat (and java security in
> general) use roles to define what slide is calling 'actions'.
>
> 5. Can a user have more than one role? It seems to me a special java class
> would have to be created for the user, implementing the role interfaces of
> all the roles the user should have.
>
> It seems to me that slide's system is quite flexible, but the mapping to the
> more conventional java system should be clear. On the one hand, the
> action-objects or action-nodes on the slide filesystem have some aspects of
> roles, but I think there needs to be a way of dynamically creating roles in
> slide, and assigning them to users and groups. Perhaps a /roles directory
> with roles-nodes that can be created instead of the Roles classes?
>
> Richie

to define new roles and a way to create those roles dynamically. In other
words, to find out what exactly going on in the security layer of slide. I
couldn't get a lot by the security page of slide documentation. Actually It
gave me very general idea. Do you think I need to read the codes to understand
details or you may able to explain and answer Richie's  questions to people
like us.

Thanks any help or hint of you.

Bita.

Re: Roles in Slide