Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com> on 2014/02/10 10:06:34 UTC

Fwd: Migrating multiple tracs as separate projects in bloodhound.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Kazys <as...@gmail.com>
> Date: 7 February 2014 10:32:23 GMT
> To: user@bloodhound.apache.org
> Subject: Migrating multiple tracs as separate projects in bloodhound.
>
> Hi,
>
> how could I migrate multiple tracs as separate projects in one
> bloodhound installation?
>
> --
> Kazys

Hi Kazys,

I've forwarded your email to our developers list (dev@) because that list is more frequently used.

- Joe

Re: Fwd: Migrating multiple tracs as separate projects in bloodhound.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>wrote:
[...]

> If you are suggesting that the use of RPC plugin somehow circumvents these
> difficulties please explain.

For the time been I'll just include other resources that might be valuable
as well

https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracImport
https://www.mail-archive.com/trac-users@googlegroups.com/msg18485.html

> So far you've failed to explain how the RPC
> plugin could be used in the migration.

That's «by design» . I do not recommend (yet) to do so ... and I say (yet)
because e.g. I plan to add support for timestamps in the API , but that's
WiP ... If the OP based on the limitations I mentioned before considers
that this is the way they choose to import their data then I will point him
to a (relatively simple) script to get this done .

> Eventually we should somehow support migrating from multiple trac
> environments, though handling plugin data for more than a few plugins would
> probably be outside the scope of what we could ever support.

That depends ... I cannot make any assumptions on non-existing code .
Nevertheless this is such a common use case that maybe someone else has
started to work on such a feature ?

Olemis - @olemislc

Re: Fwd: Migrating multiple tracs as separate projects in bloodhound.

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.
On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:00 AM, Ryan Ollos <ryan.ollos@wandisco.com
> >wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 7:42 AM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > On Feb 10, 2014 4:07 AM, "Joachim Dreimann" <
> > joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com>

> bloodhound.

> > > There is no tested / supported way (that I know) to do this for
> multiple
> > > Trac projects but you could try with Bh rpc plugin
> > >
> > > http://bitbucket.org/olemis/bloodhound_rpc
> > >
> > > For a single environment the upgrade procedure is the way to go.
> > >

> > Saying this might be possible with a plugin without giving any
> explanation
> > on how to accomplish it isn't very helpful.
> >

> Just notice that the message was sent from my android tablet on the go ...
> btw, the text was removed in previous reply
> ;)
> now I add that :
>
>   - there's no such script out there (that I know)
>   - even in that case , there are a few missing features like e.g. it will
> not be possible to import
>     with accurate timestamps e.g. in ticket comments
>   - There's no guarantee regarding data managed by plugins
>
> ... so , even if it's possible to do it I do not recommend this alternative
> . You'll have to decide whether it's suitable in your particular case .

If you are suggesting that the use of RPC plugin somehow circumvents these
difficulties please explain. So far you've failed to explain how the RPC

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.
On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 7:42 AM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2014 4:07 AM, "Joachim Dreimann" <jo...@wandisco.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > Begin forwarded message:
> >
> >> From: Kazys <as...@gmail.com>
> >> Date: 7 February 2014 10:32:23 GMT
> >> To: user@bloodhound.apache.org
> >> Subject: Migrating multiple tracs as separate projects in bloodhound.
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> how could I migrate multiple tracs as separate projects in one
> >> bloodhound installation?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Kazys
> >

> There is no tested / supported way (that I know) to do this for multiple
> Trac projects but you could try with Bh rpc plugin
>
> http://bitbucket.org/olemis/bloodhound_rpc
>
> For a single environment the upgrade procedure is the way to go.

Saying this might be possible with a plugin without giving any explanation
on how to accomplish it isn't very helpful.

Migrating from multiple Trac environments to a single Bloodhound
environment is something we will need to look into, and write a migration
procedure. I'm not sure how soon that can happen, but possibly after we get
the next release out the door and make some other long pending improvements
to the install documentation.

Re: Fwd: Migrating multiple tracs as separate projects in bloodhound.

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Kazys <as...@gmail.com>
>> Date: 7 February 2014 10:32:23 GMT
>> To: user@bloodhound.apache.org
>> Subject: Migrating multiple tracs as separate projects in bloodhound.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> how could I migrate multiple tracs as separate projects in one
>> bloodhound installation?
>>
>> --
>> Kazys

There is no tested / supported way (that I know) to do this for multiple
Trac projects but you could try with Bh rpc plugin

http://bitbucket.org/olemis/bloodhound_rpc

For a single environment the upgrade procedure is the way to go.

Sent from Android

--
Regards

Olemis - @olemislc
Blog-ES : http://simelo-es.blogspot.com
Blog-EN : http://simelo-en.blogspot.com
Projects : http://blood-hound.net

Re: Fwd: Migrating multiple tracs as separate projects in bloodhound.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.