Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> on 2002/07/12 16:58:27 UTC

nasty commit bug

Pilchie had to run off for a bit, but he's discovered some kind of
nasty bug:

  1.  his commit segfaulted in post-commit processing

  2.  he managed to commit a garbaged props.c file.  (even though we
      have a checksum!)

These two problems may or may not be related.  But before he vanished
from IRC, he printed a backtrace in gdb that indicated that problem #1
probably has something to do with the new libsvn_wc batons:

<pilchie> #0  0x0806c00d in svn_wc_adm_write_check (adm_access=0x0)
<pilchie>     at ../svn.source/subversion/libsvn_wc/lock.c:135
<pilchie> #1  0x080640ac in svn_wc_process_committed (
<pilchie>     path=0x80e0448 "/home/kevin/projects/svn.source/subversion/clients/cmdline/main.c", adm_access=0x0, recurse=0, new_revnum=2489,
<pilchie>     rev_date=0x8117148 "2002-07-12T16:32:04.893379Z",
<pilchie>     rev_author=0x8117168 "kevin", pool=0x81119e0)
<pilchie>     at ../svn.source/subversion/libsvn_wc/adm_ops.c:202
<sussman> oh NO
<pilchie> #2  0x08055711 in svn_client_commit (commit_info=0xbffff8e8,
<pilchie>     notify_func=0x804d190 <notify>, notify_baton=0x80e39e0,
<pilchie>     auth_baton=0x80e36c0, targets=0x80e3650,
<pilchie>     log_msg_func=0x805314c <svn_cl__get_log_message>, log_msg_baton=0x80e39f8,
<sussman> you committed garbage!
<pilchie>     xml_dst=0x0, revision=-1, nonrecursive=0, pool=0x80db8a0)
<sussman> look at the log message!
<pilchie>     at ../svn.source/subversion/libsvn_client/commit.c:928
<pilchie> #3  0x0804c791 in svn_cl__commit (os=0x80dba00, opt_state=0xbffffa10,
<pilchie>     pool=0x80db8a0) at ../svn.source/subversion/clients/cmdline/commit-cmd.c:91
<pilchie> #4  0x0805010d in main (argc=6, argv=0xbffffaf4)
<pilchie>     at ../svn.source/subversion/clients/cmdline/main.c:1229
<pilchie> WTF
<pilchie> ?
<sussman> yes
<sussman> props.c is garbaged on the server now
* pilchie is confused.
<pilchie> AND has to leave for work.
<sussman> don't worry...
<pilchie> Can you revert that, and I'll try again later.
<sussman> we'll revert the change
<sussman> and figger out what's up
<sussman> wonder if your text-base is corrupted
<sussman> or something
<pilchie> Seems to be philips wc_baton thing.
<sussman> (though we have checksums for that!)
<pilchie> It's null in the bt.

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:
> Pilchie, maybe we can make a repro case using your working copy, which
> has already been known to have a problem at least once.

Also, if you can tar up your working copy and attach it to a new
issue, that would be great!

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:
> > OK, it looks like the hash lookup has returned NULL, that should not
> > happen.  However the commit has already been sent to the server so I
> > don't think this can be responsible for the corruption.
>
> Yeah.  We *seriously* need a repro case for this right now...

Pilchie, maybe we can make a repro case using your working copy, which
has already been known to have a problem at least once.

First, run

   $ svn st -v

on that working copy.  I know you've already made the commit, but you
haven't committed anything *since* then, I assume, and we know what
local mods you intended to make, so if we have

   1.  Your "svn st -v" output
   2.  A patch giving the local mod you meant to commit

... then we can probably reconstruct your working copy at the time you
committed, and thus reconstruct your working copy as it was before the
commit.

The hard part is that we don't know if your text bases were corrupted
before the commit or not.  But, if those two text bases were
corrupted, chances are others were too.  So, *after* doing the above,
could you do this:

   $ find . -name "*.[ch]" | xargs touch
   $ svn st -v
   $ svn diff

That will invalidate all your timestamps, forcing a text-base
comparison for the working files.  If anything looks different here,
we may have a lead.

Thanks,
-Karl

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk> writes:
> > Pilchie had to run off for a bit, but he's discovered some kind of
> > nasty bug:
> >
> >   1.  his commit segfaulted in post-commit processing
>
> What was the command line?  What targets were given?

I don't think we know yet; when Pilchie comes back I'm sure he can
give more details.

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

--
Philip Martin

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:

> Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk> writes:
> > It doesn't occur under all conditions. So here's a receipe
>
> Is this recipe to be preferred to the one given in your earlier mail
> (i.e, the one given in issue #797)?

It's the same one, just more detailed.

--
Philip Martin

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk> writes:
> It doesn't occur under all conditions. So here's a receipe

Is this recipe to be preferred to the one given in your earlier mail
(i.e, the one given in issue #797)?

-K

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:

> Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk> writes:
> > That bug (it's in libsvn_client) is not new, it's there in rev 1581
> > when the lock_dir function was introduced.
>
> Sorry, I oversimplified.  The bug here is not the ignoring of the
> lock, but rather a difference in assumptions between the old locking
> system and the new one.  In the old system, directories were
> deliberately left in a locked state for svn_wc_process_committed() to
> come by and finish up, and then unlock them when it was done.  The new
> access baton system assumes that in order to grant a baton, the
> requested dir must be unlocked.
>
> (Ben Collins-Sussman is writing a longer mail right now, describing
> this in more detail.)
>
> Neither of these is right or wrong -- well, in fact, I kind of feel
> the new system is "more right" in spirit, more maintainable, and is
> the way to go in the long run -- the problem is just that the two
> assumptions are incompatible.  In other words, solving issue #749
> requires a larger rethinking/revamping of the post-commit process on
> the wc side than we have done so far.
>
> There is no way to get that revamp done before Alpha.  It's simply too
> complex -- no way can we cram it into a few days.
>
> Does this match your understanding?

No.

The old system grabbed locks during pre-commit processing, these are
just for the items being committed.  While holding the locks it then
sent the commit to the server. Next it dropped all the locks being
held. It then ran the post-commit processing which reacquired locks
as necessary to update the working copy.

The new system grabs the same locks during pre-commit processing. It
still holds those locks while sending the commit to the server.  It no
longer drops the locks before post-commit processing.  Additional
locks get taken out during the post-commit processing as necessary to
update the working copy.

In some cases (copy-modify-commit) that are not present in the current
regression tests the new system will fail. My latest patch addresses
those problems.

--
Philip Martin

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 12:52:15PM -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> So now I've got a legitimate situation whereby two directories, one an
> immediate child of the other, are both locked.  (They were both
> committed.)  svn_wc_process_commited comes along into the first
> directory (using an existing access baton), writes and runs a log, and
> then decides it needs to recurse.  At the bottom of the function is a
> loop over entry-children.  This loop tries to obtain a new access
> baton for the child directory, so that it can recurse;  bang, failure,
> because the child dir is already locked.

And, indeed, this is the problem with svn_wc_process_committed()
that we've been discussing all along.  That recurse loop in
svn_wc_process_committed() is hard to get into though - it requires
a non-committed copied directory with a modified file.  (See the
repro I posted on Saturday.)

I think Philip's latest patches rewrites svn_wc_process_committed()
to handle this.  But, I haven't had the chance to review it yet.

BTW, I have no problem reverting access_baton for Alpha.  -- justin

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:
> This is precisely why I'm more comfortable with forward motion than reverse.
> It sounds like there are some ripple effects that you aren't going to be
> able to back out effectively, so we shouldn't even try.

Nah, I think that fs-test thing is a red herring (I mean, there is
some bug that happens to get stimulated by the access baton patches,
but that could happen with any sort of change).

The access baton patches did not have a huge effect on the rest of the
code.  Callers of libsvn_wc had to be adjusted, of course, and the way
some things were stored in a hash at commit time changed, but
basically no code since the access baton commits has been really
dependent on those changes (except subsequent commits for the same
issue, which are part of the reversion, of course).  I checked this
assessment with Ben, who agrees.

I can't *guarantee* no ripple effect, but judging from the code,
backing these out should be pretty safe.

(Again, not arguing wholeheartedly for reverting here -- just saying
we can do it if we want to.  I'd also rather move forward, if we give
ourselves enough time.)

> Regardless, Philip should check in any regression tests that he has,
> independent of other patches and fixes. That regression test can stay even
> if we roll back. Tests can't hurt :-)

+1.  Assuming it passes :-).

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 02:53:23PM -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> cmpilato@collab.net writes:
>
> > Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:

> > > Hmmm, and your parent-child patch applied to r2521 doesn't pass my
> > > regression tests either:
> > >
> > >   FAIL: fs-test 22: merging commit
> >
> > This is my fault.  Am fixing now.
>
> Well now I'm freakin'...  I just reverted the access-baton
> parent/child patch, and this fs-test *passes* again...?!?!

This is precisely why I'm more comfortable with forward motion than reverse.
It sounds like there are some ripple effects that you aren't going to be
able to back out effectively, so we shouldn't even try.

Regardless, Philip should check in any regression tests that he has,
independent of other patches and fixes. That regression test can stay even
if we roll back. Tests can't hurt :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by cm...@collab.net.

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk> writes:

> I would not like to leave the current code in for alpha.  I would
> prefer to apply my most recent patch or revert what is there.

Hmmm, and your parent-child patch applied to r2521 doesn't pass my
regression tests either:

  FAIL: fs-test 22: merging commit
  FAIL: copy_tests.py 6: copy a directory hierarchy and modify before commit

Tell you what.  Let me revert 2504, 2470, and 2452.  Then you guys can
make a branch of the previous revision, and work from there.  You can
then apply your parent-child patch to the branch, as well as any pool
fixes.  Work as much as you like.

Then next week, after alpha has passed, we can merge the branch back
into trunk, assuming it's ready.

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:

> Well, now I've run into a head-on philosophical collision between the
> way our commit-system works and the way this new access-baton system
> works.  :-(
>
> The commit process harvests committable items; every time it finds
> one, it locks the directory.  After the commit succeeds, it calls
> svn_wc_process_committed on each committed item, possibly recursively.
> After *every* item is done being loggily 'bumped', it then unlocks all
> the locked directories at once.
>
> So now I've got a legitimate situation whereby two directories, one an
> immediate child of the other, are both locked.  (They were both
> committed.)  svn_wc_process_commited comes along into the first
> directory (using an existing access baton), writes and runs a log, and
> then decides it needs to recurse.  At the bottom of the function is a
> loop over entry-children.  This loop tries to obtain a new access
> baton for the child directory, so that it can recurse;  bang, failure,
> because the child dir is already locked.

No, it doesn't happen very often.  The initial commit processing
removes children. So

$ svn ci foo/ foo/bar/

will only lock foo/ in pre-commit processing.

The one time it does occur is in the copy-modify-commit case.  There
is a new regression test in my most recently posted patch that adds
this case to the test suite.  The modifications to the locks in that
patch allow them to handle this case without a problem.

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk> writes:
> ra_dav looks to be at fault.
>
> 1. Check out a working copy.
> 2. Modify a file.
> 3. Run the svn client under gdb.
> 4. Set a break point at svn_wc_process_committed.
> 5. Commit and when the breakpoint is reached kill the client.
> 6. Remove the lock manually or use cleanup (this is necessary because
>    since r2506 the client will no longer ignore the lock).
> 7. Run the commit again.
>
> When using ra_local the second commit fails, with transaction out of
> date.  When using ra_dav the second commit succeeds :-(

Holy cow.  Well, that's an Alpha bug, then :-).

First of all, thanks a million Philip for the intense debugging
efforts you've been putting in here.

So...

What we had was in interaction between two independent bugs: the
libsvn_wc code was (for a while) in a state where it would ignore a
lock encountered during commit -- and simultaneously, there is a bug
in ra_dav that allowed a commit to proceed against an out-of-date
file.

I'm going to work on the ra_dav bug now -- if it's what it seems to
be, it needs to be fixed before Alpha.

As for revs 2452, 2470, and 2504: I'm leaning toward reverting them
for Alpha.  With this ra_dav thing to debug, there just isn't going to
be time to thoroughly review even the changes already committed or
posted, let alone to finish issue #749.  And if the issue isn't going
to be finished, there's no compelling reason to have its beginnings in
the code when we release Alpha; in fact, it could even be sort of
confusing to have it in that state, if the Alpha code gets a lot of
new eyeballs as we hope.

I'll start debugging the ra_dav thing now, Ben or I will probably
revert 2452 and friends later today.  Speak now or forever hold your
peace :-).

It need not be said -- but I'll say it anyway -- that this is *not* a
comment on the quality of any of those revisions, it's just an issue
of risk control and API consistency for a major release.

-K

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Kevin Pilch-Bisson <ke...@pilch-bisson.net> writes:

Didn't see this when I commented on issue 792.

> Okay I'm home, and I have some more info to pass along.
>
> 1.  I actually had 2 segfaults after commits today.  The first one didn't
> seem to have an affect on the commit.
>
> 2.  My guess is that the first segfault is the cause of the problem, exactly
> as Ben described elsewhere.  entries file thinks its at the new rev, but
> text-base isn't.
>
> 3.  For reference, here is part of my 'history' output with commentary.
>
>  664  svn ci -F log include/svn_wc.h include/svn_error_codes.h
> libsvn_wc/props.c libsvn_client/prop_commands.c
> *** I CTRL-C'd this for some reason before any output.

This locked the libsvn_wc directory which is at rev 2471. The lock
file is timed about 20 minutes before rev 2485. Interrupting means
that the lock didn't get cleared.

>  665  cat log
>  666  svn ci -F log include/svn_wc.h include/svn_error_codes.h
> libsvn_wc/props.c libsvn_client/prop_commands.c
> *** This segfaulted, but created a valid new revision.

The existing lock prevented the client locking libsvn_wc but that
failure was ignored.  Revision 2485 was created on the server.  The
client attempted to use the missing lock and segfaulted.  Thus the
working copy remains at rev 2471 and libsvn_wc/props.c remains in
state M.  The segfault didn't occur until after include/ had been
updated, so in the working copy svn_wc.h and svn_error_codes.h change
to rev 2485.

>  667  ls
>  668  gdb core
> *** I had ulimit -c set to zero.
>  669  ls
>  670  svn ci -F log include/svn_wc.h include/svn_error_codes.h
> libsvn_wc/props.c libsvn_client/prop_commands.c
> *** This did nothing, because svn thought I had finished the commit.

Odd.  I would have expected it to try the commit again,
libsvn_wc/props.c and libsvn_client/prop_commands.c are still in state
M.  It would not send svn_wc.h or svn_error_codes.h because they are
at rev 2485 and are not modified, but it would send props.c.  I would
expect the server to give either a merge error or a transaction out of
date error.  The client would once again fail to lock libsvn_wc
because the original lock remains, but would ignore the problem.
Since the server rejects the commit the client will not
attemptpost-commit processing and will not segfault.

>  671  cd clients/cmdline/
>  672  vi main.c
>  673  cd ../
>  674  cd ..
>  675  vi libsvn_wc/props.c
>  676  vi libsvn_client/prop_commands.c
>  677  vi log
>  678  vi log
>  679  svn ci -F log clients/cmdline/main.c libsvn_wc/props.c
> *** I CTRL-C'd this to set ulimit in case it segfaulted again.

If not interrupted I would have expected this to try to commit

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> writes:

> Philip Martin wrote:

> > > The segfault can be reproduced by commiting without anything in . -
> >
> > Can you give me a reproduction recipe?  I still can't make it fail.
>
> Here's one:
>
>     svnadmin create z
>     cp -p z/hooks/post-commit.tmpl z/hooks/post-commit
>     svn co file:///`pwd`/z -d zz
>     cd zz
>     svn mkdir a
>     svn ci -F /dev/null
>
> Do not put executable permissions on z/hooks/post-commit.

I don't think that's the one that caused the NULL adm_access_t
segfault.  Neither of Kevin's segfaults can have been caused by your
use case.  I want to see the segfault that got fixed by rev 2504.  The
one that "can be reproduced by commiting without anything in ."

--
Philip Martin

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Philip Martin wrote:

> Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> writes:
>
> > >  664  svn ci -F log include/svn_wc.h include/svn_error_codes.h
> > > libsvn_wc/props.c libsvn_client/prop_commands.c
> > > *** I CTRL-C'd this for some reason before any output.
> > >  665  cat log
> > >  666  svn ci -F log include/svn_wc.h include/svn_error_codes.h
> > > libsvn_wc/props.c libsvn_client/prop_commands.c
> > > *** This segfaulted, but created a valid new revision.
> >
> > The segfault can be reproduced by commiting without anything in . -
>
> Can you give me a reproduction recipe?  I still can't make it fail.

Here's one:

    svnadmin create z
    cp -p z/hooks/post-commit.tmpl z/hooks/post-commit
    svn co file:///`pwd`/z -d zz
    cd zz
    svn mkdir a
    svn ci -F /dev/null

Do not put executable permissions on z/hooks/post-commit.

Best,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> writes:

> Not checking for the return from the hashtable was NULL is incorrect.
> So, r2504 should stay.

I disagree.

The reason it was NULL is that the directory was already locked and
so the attempt to lock it with svn_wc_adm_open failed and nothing got
added to the hash.  Your patch just calls svn_wc_adm_open again, which
is going to fail again.

The point is it should *never* be NULL. If you want to check it use an
assert or return an svn_error_t. Continuing under these circumstances
is wrong.  You have added obscure code that is extremely unlikely to
ever work. If by chance it does work then it is hiding another bug.

--
Philip Martin

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 06:44:38PM +0100, Philip Martin wrote:
> That gets fixed by r2504?  Do you mean that the set of directories
> that get locked is different depending on whether the previous commit
> was interrupted?  That sounds like a serious problem that should not
> be hidden by taking an extra lock.  The precommit processing should
> always lock the same set of directories.
>
> Ah, I think I see the real problem.  Look at harvest_committables in
> commit_util.c, it's calling lock_dir without checking the return
> value.  I think the correct solution is to revert 2504 and wrap
> lock_dir in an SVN_ERR.  The when you try the second commit you will
> get an "already locked" error and need to run cleanup before trying
> the commit again.

Not checking for the return from the hashtable was NULL is incorrect.
So, r2504 should stay.

Regardless, my other patch that I'm trying to get reviewed does
change all of the lock_dir's to be wrapped around SVN_ERR.  I'm just
waiting for either svn_wc_process_committed() to be fixed or someone
to say that I can commit even with that function broken.  -- justin

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 03:40:48PM +0100, Philip Martin wrote:
> Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> writes:
>
> > >  664  svn ci -F log include/svn_wc.h include/svn_error_codes.h
> > > libsvn_wc/props.c libsvn_client/prop_commands.c
> > > *** I CTRL-C'd this for some reason before any output.
> > >  665  cat log
> > >  666  svn ci -F log include/svn_wc.h include/svn_error_codes.h
> > > libsvn_wc/props.c libsvn_client/prop_commands.c
> > > *** This segfaulted, but created a valid new revision.
> >
> > The segfault can be reproduced by commiting without anything in . -
>
> Can you give me a reproduction recipe?  I still can't make it fail.

I just did exactly what Pilchie did in a clean test repository that
had three subdirectories with files to modify in each folder.  You
do have to hit Ctrl-C before any output.  Then, repeat the commit.

Therefore, test cases are hard to script since you need to interrupt
the commits.  -- justin

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 11:35:26PM -0400, Kevin Pilch-Bisson wrote:
> Okay I'm home, and I have some more info to pass along.
>
> 1.  I actually had 2 segfaults after commits today.  The first one didn't
> seem to have an affect on the commit.
>
> 2.  My guess is that the first segfault is the cause of the problem, exactly
> as Ben described elsewhere.  entries file thinks its at the new rev, but
> text-base isn't.
>
> 3.  For reference, here is part of my 'history' output with commentary.
>
>  664  svn ci -F log include/svn_wc.h include/svn_error_codes.h
> libsvn_wc/props.c libsvn_client/prop_commands.c
> *** I CTRL-C'd this for some reason before any output.
>  665  cat log
>  666  svn ci -F log include/svn_wc.h include/svn_error_codes.h
> libsvn_wc/props.c libsvn_client/prop_commands.c
> *** This segfaulted, but created a valid new revision.

The segfault can be reproduced by commiting without anything in . -
svn_wc_process_committed segfaults as locked_dirs doesn't have a
lock in the hashtable.  My caching patch changed the lock_dir API
to handle this case explicitly.  =)

Fix coming.

I'll see if I can reproduce the second segfault.  -- justin

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:
> Okay -- and this is again a match with Ben's hypothesis, as though
> your text bases aren't being updated, even while your entries files
> are.

By the way, a thought:

I can't remember whether we write a new entry or the corresponding
text base first, but it's not supposed to matter -- because the new
text base should definitely be ready in tmp/text-base/ before the new
entry is written, and the working copy dir should be locked until
everything succeeds.

However, if something were to seg fault (ahem), such that the entry
got updated before the tmp/text-base were moved, AND for some reason
the dir also got unlocked when it shouldn't have been (and/or the
.svn/log file removed because erroneously thought done), then we might
see this bug.

Just a tentative hypothesis, may be totally wrong.  Going to bed now;
good luck to people in other time zones, and people who keep true
hackers' hours :-).

-K

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Kevin Pilch-Bisson <ke...@pilch-bisson.net>.
On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 11:34:33PM -0500, Karl Fogel wrote:
> Kevin, thanks for the detailed post, and the filing of issue #792.
>
> I will be working on this this weekend, along with other ppl no doubt!

(Un)fortunately not me.  I'm going camping tomorrow and won't be back untill
Sunday night.  Sorry :(  If there's anything else I can do for you try to
think of it before about 11:00-0400

> > Note that I wasn't trying to commit all of these changes :) Particularly note
> > the diff for ./libsvn_wc/props.c and ./libsvn_client/prop_commands.c which
> > seem to contain a delta for both of the revs I tried to commit.
>
> The main thing is, there are no spurious diffs there, right?  That is,
> no changes that you didn't make yourself, and the ones you did make
> look as you expected them to?

Yes and no.  There's no changes that I didn't make.  It's just that the diff I
sent (after the second commit) shows the changes made in both commits.  I.e.
the patch you see would be for both rev 2485 and 2488. However, all of the
other files not involved in one of these two commits seems to be okay.

Kevin Pilch-Bisson                    http://www.pilch-bisson.net
     "Historically speaking, the presences of wheels in Unix
     has never precluded their reinvention." - Larry Wall

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by Kevin Pilch-Bisson <ke...@pilch-bisson.net>.
[...]

 692  gdb core
 693  gdb --corefile core
 694  gdb --help
 695  gdb --core=core
 696  gdb --core=core
/home/kevin/projects/svn.static/subversion/clients/cmdline/svn
*** This is where I got the backtrace Ben posted.
 697  history

4. svn st -v output:

__           2471     2471     kfogel   .
_            2471     1219     kfogel   ./LICENSE
_            2471     2404     kfogel   ./bindings
__           2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/java
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni
_            2471     1091   XelaRell   ./bindings/java/jni/README
_            2471      530   XelaRell   ./bindings/java/jni/TestAdd.java
_            2471      677   XelaRell   ./bindings/java/jni/TestStatus.java
_            2471      950   XelaRell   ./bindings/java/jni/build-java.sh
_            2471      978   XelaRell   ./bindings/java/jni/build.sh
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/clientimpl_status.c
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/date.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/date.h
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/entry.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/entry.h
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/global.h
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/hashtable.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/hashtable.h
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/item.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/item.h
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/j.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/j.h
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/main.c
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/misc.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/misc.h
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/nodekind.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/nodekind.h
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/org
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/org/tigris
__           2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/org/tigris/subversion
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/org/tigris/subversion/SubversionException.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/org/tigris/subversion/ToBeDoneException.java
__           2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/org/tigris/subversion/lib
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/org/tigris/subversion/lib/Client.java
_            2471      929   XelaRell   ./bindings/java/jni/org/tigris/subversion/lib/ClientImpl.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/org/tigris/subversion/lib/Entry.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/org/tigris/subversion/lib/Factory.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/org/tigris/subversion/lib/Item.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/org/tigris/subversion/lib/Nodekind.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/org/tigris/subversion/lib/Reporter.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/org/tigris/subversion/lib/Revision.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/org/tigris/subversion/lib/Schedule.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/org/tigris/subversion/lib/Status.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/org/tigris/subversion/lib/StatusKind.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/org/tigris/subversion/lib/TextdeltaHandler.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/org/tigris/subversion/lib/TextdeltaOp.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/org/tigris/subversion/lib/TextdeltaWindow.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/org/tigris/subversion/lib/TreeDeltaEditor.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/org/tigris/subversion/lib/WorkingCopy.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/revision.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/revision.h
_            2471      927   XelaRell   ./bindings/java/jni/run-tests.sh
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/schedule.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/schedule.h
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/status.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/status.h
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/statuskind.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/statuskind.h
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/string.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/string.h
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/svn_jni_global.h
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/svn_jni_item.c
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/tests
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/tests/AllTests.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/tests/ClientTests.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/tests/DateTests.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/tests/EntryTests.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/tests/HashtableTests.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/tests/MiscTests.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/tests/NativeWrapper.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/tests/NodekindTests.java
_            2471      541   XelaRell   ./bindings/java/jni/tests/README
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/tests/RevisionTests.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/tests/StatusKindTests.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/tests/StatusTests.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/tests/VectorTests.java
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/tests/main.c
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/tests/nativewrapper.c
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/vector.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/java/jni/vector.h
__           2471     2404     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby
_            2471     2213     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/client.c
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/delta_editor.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/delta_editor.h
_            2471     2404     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/error.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/error.h
_            2471     1165    yoshiki   ./bindings/ruby/extconf.rb
_            2471     2155   cmpilato   ./bindings/ruby/fs.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/fs.h
_            2471     1262    yoshiki   ./bindings/ruby/fs_node.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/fs_node.h
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/fs_root.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/fs_root.h
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/fs_txn.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/fs_txn.h
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/log.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/log.h
_            2471     1573      brane   ./bindings/ruby/ra.c
_            2471     1260    yoshiki   ./bindings/ruby/repos.c
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/stream.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/stream.h
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/svn_ruby.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/svn_ruby.h
_            2471     1261    yoshiki   ./bindings/ruby/txdelta.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/txdelta.h
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/types.c
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/util.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/util.h
_            2471     1508     gstein   ./bindings/ruby/wc.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./bindings/ruby/wc.h
__           2471     2232     gstein   ./bindings/swig
_            2471     1014     gstein   ./bindings/swig/README
_            2471     2208     gstein   ./bindings/swig/apr.i
__           2471     2232     gstein   ./bindings/swig/python
_            2471     1039     gstein   ./bindings/swig/python/fstest.py
M            2471     2206     gstein   ./bindings/swig/python/setup.py
__           2471     2232     gstein   ./bindings/swig/python/svn
_            2471     1038     gstein   ./bindings/swig/python/svn/__init__.py
_            2471     2232     gstein   ./bindings/swig/python/svn/delta.py
_            2471     1038     gstein   ./bindings/swig/python/svn/fs.py
_            2471     1246     gstein   ./bindings/swig/python/svn/util.py
_            2471     2208     gstein   ./bindings/swig/svn_client.i
_            2471     2230     gstein   ./bindings/swig/svn_delta.i
_            2471     2230     gstein   ./bindings/swig/svn_fs.i
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./bindings/swig/svn_ra.i
_            2471     2229     gstein   ./bindings/swig/svn_repos.i
_            2471     2229     gstein   ./bindings/swig/svn_string.i
_            2471     2206     gstein   ./bindings/swig/svn_types.i
_            2471     2206     gstein   ./bindings/swig/svn_wc.i
_            2471     2230     gstein   ./bindings/swig/swigutil_py.c
_            2471     2230     gstein   ./bindings/swig/swigutil_py.h
_            2471     2229     gstein   ./bindings/swig/util.i
_            2471     2466     kfogel   ./clients
__L          2471     2466     kfogel   ./clients/cmdline
_            2471      224       fitz   ./clients/cmdline/README
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/cmdline/TODO
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/add-cmd.c
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/checkout-cmd.c
_            2471     2466     kfogel   ./clients/cmdline/cl.h
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/cleanup-cmd.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./clients/cmdline/client_errors.h
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/commit-cmd.c
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/copy-cmd.c
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/delete-cmd.c
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/diff-cmd.c
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/export-cmd.c
_            2471     2441   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/feedback.c
_            2471     2466     kfogel   ./clients/cmdline/help-cmd.c
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/import-cmd.c
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/info-cmd.c
_            2471     2456   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/log-cmd.c
M            2481     2481      kevin   ./clients/cmdline/main.c
_            2471     2348    sussman   ./clients/cmdline/man
_            2471     2348    sussman   ./clients/cmdline/man/svn.1
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/merge-cmd.c
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/mkdir-cmd.c
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/move-cmd.c
_            2471     2441   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/prompt.c
_            2471     2466     kfogel   ./clients/cmdline/propdel-cmd.c
_            2471     2466     kfogel   ./clients/cmdline/propedit-cmd.c
_            2471     2466     kfogel   ./clients/cmdline/propget-cmd.c
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/proplist-cmd.c
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/props.c
_            2471     2466     kfogel   ./clients/cmdline/propset-cmd.c
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/resolve-cmd.c
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/revert-cmd.c
?                                       ./clients/cmdline/skip_patch.diff
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/status-cmd.c
_            2471     2441   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/status.c
_            2471     2307      brane   ./clients/cmdline/subversion_client.dsp
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/switch-cmd.c
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./clients/cmdline/update-cmd.c
_            2471     2466     kfogel   ./clients/cmdline/util.c
_            2471     2041      brane   ./clients/win32
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/SGrid.ctl
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/SGrid.vbp
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/SVNControls.ocx
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/article.dat
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/cFlatHeader.cls
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/cGridCell.cls
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/cHeaderControl.cls
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/cScrollBars.cls
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/cShellSort.cls
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/csgrid.res
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/frmOutlookDemo.frm
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/frmOutlookDemo.frx
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/frmOutlookGroup.frm
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/frmOutlookGroup.frx
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/frmTest.frm
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/frmTest.frx
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/frmTestMatrix.frm
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/frmTestMatrix.frx
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/frmVirtual.frm
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/frmVirtual.frx
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/gDevGrid.vbg
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/link.dat
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/mGDI.bas
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/pTest.vbp
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/ppgColumns.pag
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/ppgMain.pag
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/SVNControls/type.dat
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/Binaries
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/Binaries/SSubTmr6.dll
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/Binaries/vbalIml6.ocx
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/CheckedFolder.ico
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/DriveHelpers.bas
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/ExplorerViewHelpers.cls
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/OpnCheckedFolder.ico
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/Removable.ico
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/Startup.bas
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/WinSVN.res
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/WinSVN.vbp
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/binary.ico
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/conflict.ico
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/frmAbout.frm
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/frmAbout.frx
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/frmLogin.frm
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/frmMain.frm
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/frmMain.frx
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/frmOptions.frm
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/frmSplash.frm
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/frmSplash.frx
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/ignored_dir.ico
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/ignored_file.ico
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/lvh.cls
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/missing_dir.ico
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/missing_file.ico
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/modified_binary.ico
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/modified_normal.ico
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/normal.ico
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/pending_del.ico
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/unknown.ico
__           2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/WinSVN/ve_split.cur
__           2471     1889      brane   ./clients/win32/svn.ico
_            2471     1744    striker   ./clients/win32/svn.rc
__           2471     2041      brane   ./clients/win32/svn_com
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./clients/win32/svn_com/MarshalArray.h
_            2471     2041      brane   ./clients/win32/svn_com/SVN.cpp
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./clients/win32/svn_com/SVN.h
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/svn_com/SVN.rgs
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./clients/win32/svn_com/SVNCOM.cpp
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/svn_com/SVNCOM.def
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./clients/win32/svn_com/SVNCOM.idl
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/svn_com/SVNCOM.rc
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/svn_com/SVNCOMps.def
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/svn_com/SVNCOMps.mk
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./clients/win32/svn_com/SVNStatus.cpp
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./clients/win32/svn_com/SVNStatus.h
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/svn_com/SVNStatus.rgs
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./clients/win32/svn_com/StdAfx.cpp
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./clients/win32/svn_com/StdAfx.h
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./clients/win32/svn_com/dlldatax.c
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./clients/win32/svn_com/dlldatax.h
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./clients/win32/svn_com/misc.cpp
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./clients/win32/svn_com/misc.h
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/svn_com/resource.h
_            2471        1        svn   ./clients/win32/svn_com/svn_com.dsp
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./clients/win32/svn_com/svn_comCP.h
?                                       ./core
__L          2471     2470     philip   ./include
_            2471     2330     gstein   ./include/svn_auth.h
_            2471     2267     gstein   ./include/svn_base64.h
_            2471     2445    sussman   ./include/svn_client.h
_            2471     1565     kfogel   ./include/svn_config.h
_            2471     1436    sussman   ./include/svn_dav.h
_            2471     2305     kfogel   ./include/svn_delta.h
_            2471     1801    striker   ./include/svn_diff.h
_            2471     1460     kfogel   ./include/svn_error.h
_            2485     2485      kevin   ./include/svn_error_codes.h
_            2471     2436   cmpilato   ./include/svn_fs.h
_            2471     2267     gstein   ./include/svn_hash.h
_            2471     2436   cmpilato   ./include/svn_io.h
_            2471     2468     kfogel   ./include/svn_path.h
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./include/svn_pools.h
_            2471     2267     gstein   ./include/svn_quoprint.h
M            2471     2174   cmpilato   ./include/svn_ra.h
_            2471     2267     gstein   ./include/svn_repos.h
_            2471     2267     gstein   ./include/svn_sorts.h
_            2471     2024     kfogel   ./include/svn_string.h
_            2471     2267     gstein   ./include/svn_test.h
_            2471     2315      naked   ./include/svn_time.h
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./include/svn_types.h
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./include/svn_utf.h
_            2471     2376    sussman   ./include/svn_version.h
_            2485     2485      kevin   ./include/svn_wc.h
_            2471     2024     kfogel   ./include/svn_xml.h
__           2471     2330     gstein   ./libsvn_auth
_            2471     2330     gstein   ./libsvn_auth/auth.c
__L          2471     2470     philip   ./libsvn_client
_            2471     2436   cmpilato   ./libsvn_client/add.c
_            2471     2436   cmpilato   ./libsvn_client/auth.c
_            2471     1365     gstein   ./libsvn_client/cancellation_editor.c
_            2471     2388     kfogel   ./libsvn_client/checkout.c
_            2471     2024     kfogel   ./libsvn_client/cleanup.c
_            2471     2470     philip   ./libsvn_client/client.h
_            2471     2470     philip   ./libsvn_client/commit.c
_            2471     2452     philip   ./libsvn_client/commit_util.c
_            2479     2479      kevin   ./libsvn_client/copy.c
_            2471     2058     philip   ./libsvn_client/delete.c
_            2471     2409    sussman   ./libsvn_client/diff.c
_            2471     2388     kfogel   ./libsvn_client/export.c
_            2471     2470     philip   ./libsvn_client/externals.c
_            2471     2236      brane   ./libsvn_client/libsvn_client.dsp
_            2471     2174   cmpilato   ./libsvn_client/log.c
M            2471     2241     philip   ./libsvn_client/prop_commands.c
_            2471     2024     kfogel   ./libsvn_client/ra.c
_            2471     2436   cmpilato   ./libsvn_client/repos_diff.c
_            2471     2445    sussman   ./libsvn_client/resolve.c
_            2471     2024     kfogel   ./libsvn_client/revert.c
_            2471     2108     kfogel   ./libsvn_client/revisions.c
_            2471     2248     kfogel   ./libsvn_client/status.c
_            2471     2256     kfogel   ./libsvn_client/switch.c
_            2471     2388     kfogel   ./libsvn_client/update.c
__           2471     2396     kfogel   ./libsvn_delta
_            2471        1        svn   ./libsvn_delta/README.xmlparse
_            2471     2288      brane   ./libsvn_delta/compose_delta.c
_            2471     1536    sussman   ./libsvn_delta/compose_editors.c
_            2471     2107     philip   ./libsvn_delta/default_editor.c
_            2471     2269      brane   ./libsvn_delta/delta.h
_            2471     1988    striker   ./libsvn_delta/diff.c
_            2471     2396     kfogel   ./libsvn_delta/diff_file.c
_            2471     1972      brane   ./libsvn_delta/libsvn_delta.dsp
_            2471     2292      brane   ./libsvn_delta/svndiff.c
_            2471     2268      brane   ./libsvn_delta/text_delta.c
_            2471     1972      brane   ./libsvn_delta/vdelta.c
_            2471     2024     kfogel   ./libsvn_delta/xml_output.c
_            2471     1738   jerenkra   ./libsvn_delta/xml_parse.c
__           2471     2453   cmpilato   ./libsvn_fs
_            2471        1        svn   ./libsvn_fs/TODO
__           2471     2453   cmpilato   ./libsvn_fs/bdb
_            2471     2280      blair   ./libsvn_fs/bdb/copies-table.c
_            2471     2453   cmpilato   ./libsvn_fs/bdb/copies-table.h
_            2471     2277     gstein   ./libsvn_fs/bdb/dbt.c
_            2471     2277     gstein   ./libsvn_fs/bdb/dbt.h
_            2471     2277     gstein   ./libsvn_fs/bdb/nodes-table.c
_            2471     2277     gstein   ./libsvn_fs/bdb/nodes-table.h
_            2471     2277     gstein   ./libsvn_fs/bdb/reps-table.c
_            2471     2277     gstein   ./libsvn_fs/bdb/reps-table.h
_            2471     2278   cmpilato   ./libsvn_fs/bdb/rev-table.c
_            2471     2278   cmpilato   ./libsvn_fs/bdb/rev-table.h
_            2471     2299   cmpilato   ./libsvn_fs/bdb/strings-table.c
_            2471     2277     gstein   ./libsvn_fs/bdb/strings-table.h
_            2471     2300   cmpilato   ./libsvn_fs/bdb/txn-table.c
_            2471     2278   cmpilato   ./libsvn_fs/bdb/txn-table.h
_            2471     2453   cmpilato   ./libsvn_fs/dag.c
_            2471     2275     gstein   ./libsvn_fs/dag.h
_            2471     2273   cmpilato   ./libsvn_fs/deltify.c
_            2471     2093   cmpilato   ./libsvn_fs/err.c
_            2471     2093   cmpilato   ./libsvn_fs/err.h
_            2471     2453   cmpilato   ./libsvn_fs/fs.c
_            2471     2453   cmpilato   ./libsvn_fs/fs.h
_            2471     2280      blair   ./libsvn_fs/id.c
_            2471     2093   cmpilato   ./libsvn_fs/id.h
_            2471     2125   cmpilato   ./libsvn_fs/key-gen.c
_            2471     2125   cmpilato   ./libsvn_fs/key-gen.h
_            2471     2296      brane   ./libsvn_fs/libsvn_fs.dsp
_            2471     2276     gstein   ./libsvn_fs/node-rev.c
_            2471     2120     gstein   ./libsvn_fs/node-rev.h
_            2471     2276     gstein   ./libsvn_fs/reps-strings.c
_            2471     2276     gstein   ./libsvn_fs/reps-strings.h
_            2471     2278   cmpilato   ./libsvn_fs/revs-txns.c
_            2471     2278   cmpilato   ./libsvn_fs/revs-txns.h
_            2471     2273   cmpilato   ./libsvn_fs/structure
_            2471     2106     gstein   ./libsvn_fs/trail.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./libsvn_fs/trail.h
_            2471     2402    sussman   ./libsvn_fs/tree.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./libsvn_fs/tree.h
_            2471     2278   cmpilato   ./libsvn_fs/txn.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./libsvn_fs/txn.h
__           2471     2280      blair   ./libsvn_fs/util
_            2471     2280      blair   ./libsvn_fs/util/fs_skels.c
_            2471     2277     gstein   ./libsvn_fs/util/fs_skels.h
_            2471     2277     gstein   ./libsvn_fs/util/skel.c
_            2471     2277     gstein   ./libsvn_fs/util/skel.h
__           2471     2241     philip   ./libsvn_ra
_            2471     1741      brane   ./libsvn_ra/libsvn_ra.dsp
M            2471     2241     philip   ./libsvn_ra/ra_loader.c
__           2471     2406    striker   ./libsvn_ra_dav
_            2471     2063    striker   ./libsvn_ra_dav/commit.c
_            2471     2128    sussman   ./libsvn_ra_dav/fetch.c
_            2471     1741      brane   ./libsvn_ra_dav/libsvn_ra_dav.dsp
_            2471     2174   cmpilato   ./libsvn_ra_dav/log.c
_            2471     1863     gstein   ./libsvn_ra_dav/merge.c
_            2471     1863     gstein   ./libsvn_ra_dav/options.c
_            2471     2194   cmpilato   ./libsvn_ra_dav/props.c
_            2471     2174   cmpilato   ./libsvn_ra_dav/ra_dav.h
M            2471     2209     philip   ./libsvn_ra_dav/session.c
_            2471     2070    striker   ./libsvn_ra_dav/util.c
__           2471     2377      brane   ./libsvn_ra_local
_            2471     2241     philip   ./libsvn_ra_local/checkout.c
_            2471     2024     kfogel   ./libsvn_ra_local/commit_editor.c
_            2471     1741      brane   ./libsvn_ra_local/libsvn_ra_local.dsp
_            2471     2024     kfogel   ./libsvn_ra_local/ra_local.h
_            2471     2174   cmpilato   ./libsvn_ra_local/ra_plugin.c
_            2471     2377      brane   ./libsvn_ra_local/split_url.c
__           2471     2024     kfogel   ./libsvn_ra_pipe
M            2471     2024     kfogel   ./libsvn_ra_pipe/pipe_reporter.c
M            2471     2024     kfogel   ./libsvn_ra_pipe/ra_pipe.c
M            2471     1975      kevin   ./libsvn_ra_pipe/ra_pipe.h
__           2471     2444    sussman   ./libsvn_repos
_            2471        1        svn   ./libsvn_repos/README
_            2471     2170   cmpilato   ./libsvn_repos/delta.c
_            2471     2402    sussman   ./libsvn_repos/dump.c
_            2471     2024     kfogel   ./libsvn_repos/hooks.c
_            2471     1681     kfogel   ./libsvn_repos/hooks.txt
_            2471     1900    sussman   ./libsvn_repos/libsvn_repos.dsp
_            2471     2127   cmpilato   ./libsvn_repos/load.c
_            2471     2194   cmpilato   ./libsvn_repos/log.c
_            2471     1937   cmpilato   ./libsvn_repos/node_tree.c
_            2471     2444    sussman   ./libsvn_repos/reporter.c
_            2471     2404     kfogel   ./libsvn_repos/repos.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./libsvn_repos/repos.h
_            2471     2308      naked   ./libsvn_repos/rev_hunt.c
?                                       ./libsvn_server
__           2471     2467     kfogel   ./libsvn_subr
_            2471     1986     rooneg   ./libsvn_subr/README.errors
_            2471     2380      brane   ./libsvn_subr/config.c
_            2471     2359      brane   ./libsvn_subr/config_file.c
_            2471     2359      brane   ./libsvn_subr/config_impl.h
_            2471     2359      brane   ./libsvn_subr/config_win.c
_            2471        1        svn   ./libsvn_subr/getdate.cw
_            2471        1        svn   ./libsvn_subr/getdate.y
_            2471     2115     kfogel   ./libsvn_subr/hash.c
_            2471     2436   cmpilato   ./libsvn_subr/io.c
_            2471     2424     kfogel   ./libsvn_subr/libsvn_subr.dsp
_            2471     2467     kfogel   ./libsvn_subr/path.c
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./libsvn_subr/quoprint.c
_            2471     2447   cmpilato   ./libsvn_subr/sorts.c
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./libsvn_subr/svn_base64.c
_            2471     2436   cmpilato   ./libsvn_subr/svn_error.c
_            2471     2024     kfogel   ./libsvn_subr/svn_string.c
_            2471     2467     kfogel   ./libsvn_subr/target.c
_            2471     2336      brane   ./libsvn_subr/time.c
_            2471     2465   cmpilato   ./libsvn_subr/utf.c
_            2471     2024     kfogel   ./libsvn_subr/xml.c
__L          2471     2471     kfogel   ./libsvn_wc
_            2471      963       fitz   ./libsvn_wc/README
_            2471     2445    sussman   ./libsvn_wc/adm_crawler.c
_            2471     2470     philip   ./libsvn_wc/adm_files.c
_            2471     2470     philip   ./libsvn_wc/adm_files.h
_            2471     2470     philip   ./libsvn_wc/adm_ops.c
_            2471     2024     kfogel   ./libsvn_wc/adm_ops.h
_            2471     2446     kfogel   ./libsvn_wc/copy.c
_            2471     2471     kfogel   ./libsvn_wc/diff.c
_            2471     2440    sussman   ./libsvn_wc/entries.c
_            2471     2024     kfogel   ./libsvn_wc/entries.h
_            2471     1741      brane   ./libsvn_wc/libsvn_wc.dsp
_            2471     2470     philip   ./libsvn_wc/lock.c
_            2471     2470     philip   ./libsvn_wc/log.c
_            2471     2470     philip   ./libsvn_wc/log.h
_            2471     2388     kfogel   ./libsvn_wc/merge.c
?                                       ./libsvn_wc/patch
M            2471     2470     philip   ./libsvn_wc/props.c
_            2471     2305     kfogel   ./libsvn_wc/props.h
_            2471     2423     kfogel   ./libsvn_wc/questions.c
_            2471     2024     kfogel   ./libsvn_wc/questions.h
_            2471     2413     rooneg   ./libsvn_wc/status.c
_            2471     2029     philip   ./libsvn_wc/status_editor.c
_            2471     2388     kfogel   ./libsvn_wc/translate.c
_            2471     1804    sussman   ./libsvn_wc/translate.h
_            2471     2470     philip   ./libsvn_wc/update_editor.c
_            2471     2388     kfogel   ./libsvn_wc/util.c
_            2471     2470     philip   ./libsvn_wc/wc.h
?                                       ./log
__           2471     2401    striker   ./mod_dav_svn
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./mod_dav_svn/activity.c
_            2471     2391   jerenkra   ./mod_dav_svn/dav_svn.h
_            2471     2399   jerenkra   ./mod_dav_svn/deadprops.c
_            2471     2391   jerenkra   ./mod_dav_svn/liveprops.c
_            2471     2174   cmpilato   ./mod_dav_svn/log.c
_            2471     2137    sussman   ./mod_dav_svn/merge.c
_            2471     2297      brane   ./mod_dav_svn/mod_dav_svn.c
_            2471     2306      brane   ./mod_dav_svn/mod_dav_svn.dsp
_            2471     2401    striker   ./mod_dav_svn/repos.c
_            2471        1        svn   ./mod_dav_svn/static
_            2471        1        svn   ./mod_dav_svn/static/Makefile.in
_            2471        1        svn   ./mod_dav_svn/static/README
_            2471        1        svn   ./mod_dav_svn/static/config.m4
_            2471     2332    sussman   ./mod_dav_svn/update.c
_            2471     2170   cmpilato   ./mod_dav_svn/util.c
_            2471     2319   cmpilato   ./mod_dav_svn/version.c
__           2471     2441   cmpilato   ./svnadmin
_            2471     2441   cmpilato   ./svnadmin/main.c
_            2471     2441   cmpilato   ./svnadmin/shell.c
_            2471     2348    sussman   ./svnadmin/svnadmin.1
_            2471     1741      brane   ./svnadmin/svnadmin.dsp
_            2471     2441   cmpilato   ./svnadmin/svnadmin.h
__           2471     2441   cmpilato   ./svnlook
_            2471     2441   cmpilato   ./svnlook/main.c
_            2471     1741      brane   ./svnlook/svnlook.dsp
__           2471     2453   cmpilato   ./tests
_            2471      727     kfogel   ./tests/README
_            2471     2426     rooneg   ./tests/clients
__           2471     2426     rooneg   ./tests/clients/cmdline
_            2471     2327     kfogel   ./tests/clients/cmdline/README
__           2471     2374      brane   ./tests/clients/cmdline/basic_tests.py
__           2471     2368     kfogel   ./tests/clients/cmdline/commit_tests.py
__           2471     2344    sussman   ./tests/clients/cmdline/copy_tests.py
__           2471     2049      brane   ./tests/clients/cmdline/diff_tests.py
__           2471     1806    sussman   ./tests/clients/cmdline/getopt_tests.py
_            2471     2216     rooneg   ./tests/clients/cmdline/getopt_tests_data
_            2471     1763     gstein   ./tests/clients/cmdline/getopt_tests_data/svn--help_stderr
_            2471     2216     rooneg   ./tests/clients/cmdline/getopt_tests_data/svn--help_stdout
_            2471     1646      blair   ./tests/clients/cmdline/getopt_tests_data/svn--version_stderr
M            2471     2162     rooneg   ./tests/clients/cmdline/getopt_tests_data/svn--version_stdout
_            2471     1646      blair   ./tests/clients/cmdline/getopt_tests_data/svn_help--version_stderr
_            2471     1707    striker   ./tests/clients/cmdline/getopt_tests_data/svn_help--version_stdout
_            2471     1646      blair   ./tests/clients/cmdline/getopt_tests_data/svn_help_bogus-cmd_stderr
_            2471     1646      blair   ./tests/clients/cmdline/getopt_tests_data/svn_help_bogus-cmd_stdout
_            2471     1646      blair   ./tests/clients/cmdline/getopt_tests_data/svn_help_log_switch_stderr
_            2471     2174   cmpilato   ./tests/clients/cmdline/getopt_tests_data/svn_help_log_switch_stdout
_            2471     1646      blair   ./tests/clients/cmdline/getopt_tests_data/svn_help_stderr
_            2471     2216     rooneg   ./tests/clients/cmdline/getopt_tests_data/svn_help_stdout
_            2471     2216     rooneg   ./tests/clients/cmdline/getopt_tests_data/svn_stderr
_            2471     1646      blair   ./tests/clients/cmdline/getopt_tests_data/svn_stdout
__           2471     2259     gstein   ./tests/clients/cmdline/log_tests.py
__           2471     2365     kfogel   ./tests/clients/cmdline/merge_tests.py
__           2471     2259     gstein   ./tests/clients/cmdline/module_tests.py
__           2471     2365     kfogel   ./tests/clients/cmdline/prop_tests.py
__           2471     2259     gstein   ./tests/clients/cmdline/schedule_tests.py
__           2471     2259     gstein   ./tests/clients/cmdline/stat_tests.py
__           2471     2259     gstein   ./tests/clients/cmdline/svnadmin_tests.py
__           2471     2426     rooneg   ./tests/clients/cmdline/svntest
_            2471     2181     gstein   ./tests/clients/cmdline/svntest/__init__.py
_            2471     2426     rooneg   ./tests/clients/cmdline/svntest/actions.py
_            2471     1343     gstein   ./tests/clients/cmdline/svntest/entry.py
_            2471     2385      brane   ./tests/clients/cmdline/svntest/main.py
_            2471     2364     kfogel   ./tests/clients/cmdline/svntest/tree.py
_            2471     2260     gstein   ./tests/clients/cmdline/svntest/wc.py
__           2471     2259     gstein   ./tests/clients/cmdline/switch_tests.py
__           2471        1        svn   ./tests/clients/cmdline/theta.png
__           2471     2259     gstein   ./tests/clients/cmdline/trans_tests.py
__           2471     2259     gstein   ./tests/clients/cmdline/update_tests.py
__           2471     1767     philip   ./tests/clients/cmdline/xmltests
_            2471     1767     philip   ./tests/clients/cmdline/xmltests/svn-test.sh
_            2471     1710      brane   ./tests/clients/cmdline/xmltests/svn-test2.sh
_            2471     2273   cmpilato   ./tests/fs-helpers.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./tests/fs-helpers.h
_            2471        1        svn   ./tests/greek-tree.txt
__           2471     2288      brane   ./tests/libsvn_delta
_            2471     2024     kfogel   ./tests/libsvn_delta/delta-combine-test.c
_            2471     2269      brane   ./tests/libsvn_delta/delta-window-test.h
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./tests/libsvn_delta/deltaparse-test.c
_            2471     1741      brane   ./tests/libsvn_delta/deltaparse_test.dsp
_            2471        1        svn   ./tests/libsvn_delta/foo.delta
_            2471        1        svn   ./tests/libsvn_delta/postfix.delta
_            2471     2288      brane   ./tests/libsvn_delta/random-test.c
_            2471     1741      brane   ./tests/libsvn_delta/random_test.dsp
_            2471     2271      brane   ./tests/libsvn_delta/range-index-test.h
_            2471        1        svn   ./tests/libsvn_delta/simple.delta
_            2471     1303   cmpilato   ./tests/libsvn_delta/svndiff-test.c
_            2471     1741      brane   ./tests/libsvn_delta/svndiff_test.dsp
_            2471     2269      brane   ./tests/libsvn_delta/vdelta-test.c
_            2471        1        svn   ./tests/libsvn_delta/vdelta_1.txt
_            2471     1741      brane   ./tests/libsvn_delta/vdelta_test.dsp
_            2471     1448   cmpilato   ./tests/libsvn_delta/xml-output-test.c
_            2471     1741      brane   ./tests/libsvn_delta/xml_output_test.dsp
__           2471     2453   cmpilato   ./tests/libsvn_fs
_            2471     2453   cmpilato   ./tests/libsvn_fs/fs-test.c
_            2471     1741      brane   ./tests/libsvn_fs/fs_test.dsp
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./tests/libsvn_fs/key-test.c
_            2471     1741      brane   ./tests/libsvn_fs/key_test.dsp
_            2471     2150      brane   ./tests/libsvn_fs/run-fs-tests.py
_            2471     2273   cmpilato   ./tests/libsvn_fs/skel-test.c
_            2471     1741      brane   ./tests/libsvn_fs/skel_test.dsp
_            2471     2273   cmpilato   ./tests/libsvn_fs/strings-reps-test.c
_            2471     1741      brane   ./tests/libsvn_fs/strings_reps_test.dsp
__           2471     1224     kfogel   ./tests/libsvn_ra_local
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./tests/libsvn_ra_local/ra-local-test.c
__           2471     2150      brane   ./tests/libsvn_repos
_            2471     2093   cmpilato   ./tests/libsvn_repos/dir-delta-editor.c
_            2471     1667     kfogel   ./tests/libsvn_repos/dir-delta-editor.h
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./tests/libsvn_repos/md5args.c
_            2471     1937   cmpilato   ./tests/libsvn_repos/repos-test.c
_            2471     1741      brane   ./tests/libsvn_repos/repos_test.dsp
_            2471     2150      brane   ./tests/libsvn_repos/run-repos-tests.py
__           2471     2381      brane   ./tests/libsvn_subr
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./tests/libsvn_subr/hashdump-test.c
_            2471     1741      brane   ./tests/libsvn_subr/hashdump_test.dsp
_            2471     2088      brane   ./tests/libsvn_subr/path-test.c
_            2471     1741      brane   ./tests/libsvn_subr/path_test.dsp
_            2471     1741      brane   ./tests/libsvn_subr/string_test.dsp
_            2471     1926     philip   ./tests/libsvn_subr/stringtest.c
_            2471     2024     kfogel   ./tests/libsvn_subr/target-test.c
_            2471     2381      brane   ./tests/libsvn_subr/target-test.py
_            2471     1741      brane   ./tests/libsvn_subr/target_test.dsp
_            2471     2316      naked   ./tests/libsvn_subr/time-test.c
_            2471     2041      brane   ./tests/libsvn_subr/time_test.dsp
_            2471      741      brane   ./tests/libsvn_test_main.dsp
_            2471        1        svn   ./tests/libsvn_vcdiff
_            2471        1        svn   ./tests/libsvn_vcdiff/README
_            2471        1        svn   ./tests/libsvn_vcdiff/source.txt
_            2471        1        svn   ./tests/libsvn_vcdiff/target0.txt
_            2471        1        svn   ./tests/libsvn_vcdiff/target1.txt
_            2471        1        svn   ./tests/libsvn_vcdiff/target2.txt
_            2471        1        svn   ./tests/libsvn_vcdiff/target3.txt
_            2471        1        svn   ./tests/libsvn_vcdiff/target4.txt
_            2471        1        svn   ./tests/libsvn_vcdiff/target5.txt
__           2471     2131     kfogel   ./tests/libsvn_wc
_            2471        1        svn   ./tests/libsvn_wc/checkout-1.txt
_            2471     2131     kfogel   ./tests/libsvn_wc/checkout-test.c
_            2471        1        svn   ./tests/libsvn_wc/checkout-test.sh
_            2471     1741      brane   ./tests/libsvn_wc/checkout_test.dsp
_            2471        1        svn   ./tests/libsvn_wc/simple.delta
_            2471     1977        joe   ./tests/libsvn_wc/translate-test.c
_            2471     1741      brane   ./tests/libsvn_wc/translate_test.dsp
__           2471     2150      brane   ./tests/python-libs
_            2471     2150      brane   ./tests/python-libs/exectest.py
_            2471     1848     kfogel   ./tests/svn_test_editor.c
_            2471     1224     kfogel   ./tests/svn_tests_main.c
_            2471      492     kfogel   ./tests/xml
_            2471        1        svn   ./tests/xml/README
_            2471        1        svn   ./tests/xml/co1-inline.xml
_            2471        1        svn   ./tests/xml/co1-postfix.xml
_            2471      492     kfogel   ./tests/xml/pipatch.xml
_            2471      492     kfogel   ./tests/xml/up-props.xml
_            2471      492     kfogel   ./tests/xml/up1a-inline.xml
_            2471      492     kfogel   ./tests/xml/up1a-postfix.xml
_            2471      492     kfogel   ./tests/xml/up1b-inline.xml
_            2471      492     kfogel   ./tests/xml/up1b-postfix.xml
_            2471      492     kfogel   ./tests/xml/up2.xml
_            2471      492     kfogel   ./tests/xml/up3.xml
_            2471      492     kfogel   ./tests/xml/up5.xml

5. svn st -v after  find . -name .svn -prune -o -name '*.[ch]' | xargs touch:

[...]

6. svn diff output

Index: ./libsvn_ra/ra_loader.c
--- ./libsvn_ra/ra_loader.c
+++ ./libsvn_ra/ra_loader.c	Fri Jul 12 23:28:09 2002
@@ -67,6 +67,13 @@
 #endif
   },

+  {
+    "pipe",
+#ifdef SVN_LIBSVN_CLIENT_LINKS_RA_PIPE
+    svn_ra_pipe_init
+#endif
+  },
+
   /* ADD NEW RA IMPLEMENTATIONS HERE (as they're written) */

   /* sentinel */
Index: ./include/svn_ra.h
--- ./include/svn_ra.h
+++ ./include/svn_ra.h	Fri Jul 12 23:28:09 2002
@@ -579,6 +579,9 @@
 svn_error_t * svn_ra_local_init (int abi_version,
                                  apr_pool_t *pool,
                                  apr_hash_t *hash);
+svn_error_t * svn_ra_pipe_init (int abi_version,
+                                apr_pool_t *pool,
+                                apr_hash_t *hash);

 /*----------------------------------------------------------------------*/
Index: ./libsvn_wc/props.c
--- ./libsvn_wc/props.c
+++ ./libsvn_wc/props.c	Fri Jul 12 23:28:09 2002
@@ -1041,6 +1041,28 @@
   /* ### argh */
   svn_stringbuf_t *valuebuf;

+  if (! strcmp (name, SVN_PROP_EXECUTABLE))
+    {
+      enum svn_node_kind kind;
+      SVN_ERR (svn_io_check_path (path, &kind, pool));
+
+      if (kind == svn_node_dir && value != NULL)
+        /* Setting the executable bit doesn't make sense for dirs. (And
+           don't try and tell me Unix does it...) */
+        return svn_error_create (SVN_ERR_ILLEGAL_TARGET, 0, NULL, pool,
+                                 "Cannot set svn:executable on a directory");
+      else
+        {
+          /* If the svn:executable property was set, then chmod +x.
+             If the svn:executable property was deleted (NULL value passed
+             in), then chmod -x. */
+          if (value == NULL)
+            SVN_ERR (svn_io_set_file_executable (path, FALSE, TRUE, pool));
+          else
+            SVN_ERR (svn_io_set_file_executable (path, TRUE, TRUE, pool));
+        }
+    }
+
   err = svn_wc_prop_list (&prophash, path, pool);
   if (err)
     return
@@ -1103,17 +1125,6 @@
                                          SVN_WC__ENTRY_MODIFY_TEXT_TIME,
                                          pool));
         }
-    }
-
-  /* Addendum: if the svn:executable property was set, then chmod +x.
-     If the svn:executable property was deleted (NULL value passed
-     in), then chmod -x. */
-  if (! strcmp (name, SVN_PROP_EXECUTABLE))
-    {
-      if (value == NULL)
-        SVN_ERR (svn_io_set_file_executable (path, FALSE, TRUE, pool));
-      else
-        SVN_ERR (svn_io_set_file_executable (path, TRUE, TRUE, pool));
     }

   return SVN_NO_ERROR;
Index: ./libsvn_client/prop_commands.c
--- ./libsvn_client/prop_commands.c
+++ ./libsvn_client/prop_commands.c	Fri Jul 12 23:28:09 2002
@@ -79,17 +79,20 @@

           if (current_entry->schedule != svn_wc_schedule_delete)
             {
+              svn_error_t *err;
               if (current_entry->kind == svn_node_dir && current_entry_name)
                 {
-                  SVN_ERR (svn_client_propset (propname, propval,
-                                               full_entry_path->data, recurse,
-                                               pool));
+                  err = svn_client_propset (propname, propval,
+                                            full_entry_path->data, recurse,
+                                            pool);
                 }
               else
                 {
-                  SVN_ERR (svn_wc_prop_set (propname, propval,
-                                            full_entry_path->data, pool));
+                  err = svn_wc_prop_set (propname, propval,
+                                         full_entry_path->data, pool);
                 }
+              if (err && err->apr_err != SVN_ERR_ILLEGAL_TARGET)
+                return err;
             }
         }

Index: ./libsvn_ra_pipe/ra_pipe.c
--- ./libsvn_ra_pipe/ra_pipe.c
+++ ./libsvn_ra_pipe/ra_pipe.c	Fri Jul 12 23:28:09 2002
@@ -48,7 +48,7 @@

 static svn_error_t *
 svn_ra_pipe__open (void **session_baton,
-                   svn_stringbuf_t *repos_URL,
+                   const char *repos_URL,
                    const svn_ra_callbacks_t *callbacks,
                    void *callback_baton,
                    apr_pool_t *pool)
@@ -66,7 +66,7 @@
     return svn_error_create (apr_err, 0, NULL, pool,
                              "ra_pipe: Couldn't open stdout\n");
   sess->pool = pool;
-  sess->url = apr_pstrdup (pool, repos_URL->data);
+  sess->url = apr_pstrdup (pool, repos_URL);

   *session_baton = sess;

@@ -148,7 +148,7 @@

   /* ### Should we use a different date format here? */
   svn_xml_make_open_tag (&buf, sess->pool, svn_xml_self_closing,
-                         SVN_RA_PIPE__LATEST_REVNUM_TAG,
+                         SVN_RA_PIPE__DATED_REVNUM_TAG,
                          SVN_RA_PIPE__ATT_DATE,
                          svn_time_to_nts (tm, sess->pool),
                          NULL);
@@ -265,7 +265,7 @@
                         const svn_ra_reporter_t **reporter,
                         void **report_baton,
                         svn_revnum_t update_revision,
-                        svn_stringbuf_t *update_target,
+                        const char *update_target,
                         svn_boolean_t recurse,
                         const svn_delta_edit_fns_t *update_editor,
                         void *update_baton)
@@ -291,9 +291,9 @@
                         const svn_ra_reporter_t **reporter,
                         void **report_baton,
                         svn_revnum_t switch_revision,
-                        svn_stringbuf_t *switch_target,
+                        const char *switch_target,
                         svn_boolean_t recurse,
-                        svn_stringbuf_t *switch_url,
+                        const char *switch_url,
                         const svn_delta_edit_fns_t *switch_editor,
                         void *switch_baton)
 {
@@ -304,7 +304,7 @@
                                     sess->output,
                                     sess->url,
                                     switch_target,
-                                    switch_url->data,
+                                    switch_url,
                                     switch_revision,
                                     recurse,
                                     switch_editor,
@@ -317,7 +317,7 @@
 svn_ra_pipe__do_status (void *session_baton,
                         const svn_ra_reporter_t **reporter,
                         void **report_baton,
-                        svn_stringbuf_t *status_target,
+                        const char *status_target,
                         svn_boolean_t recurse,
                         const svn_delta_edit_fns_t *status_editor,
                         void *status_baton)
@@ -344,6 +344,7 @@
                       svn_revnum_t start,
                       svn_revnum_t end,
                       svn_boolean_t discover_changed_paths,
+                      svn_boolean_t strict_node_history,
                       svn_log_message_receiver_t receiver,
                       void *receiver_baton)
 {
@@ -356,7 +357,7 @@

   svn_xml_make_open_tag (&buf, sess->pool, svn_xml_normal,
                          SVN_RA_PIPE__REQUEST_TAG, "xmlns:S",
-                         SVN_RA_PIPE__NAMESPACE, xNULL);
+                         SVN_RA_PIPE__NAMESPACE, NULL);
   svn_xml_make_open_tag (&buf, sess->pool, svn_xml_normal,
                          SVN_RA_PIPE__GET_LOG_TAG,
                          SVN_RA_PIPE__ATT_STARTREV,
Index: ./libsvn_ra_pipe/pipe_reporter.c
--- ./libsvn_ra_pipe/pipe_reporter.c
+++ ./libsvn_ra_pipe/pipe_reporter.c	Fri Jul 12 23:28:09 2002
@@ -171,7 +171,7 @@
                            apr_file_t *input,
                            apr_file_t *output,
                            const char *url,
-                           svn_stringbuf_t *target,
+                           const char *target,
                            const char *dst_path,
                            svn_revnum_t revision,
                            svn_boolean_t recurse,
@@ -196,7 +196,7 @@

   if (SVN_IS_VALID_REVNUM (revision))
     {
-      /* ### Set the target revnum */
+      /* Set the target revnum */
       svn_xml_make_open_tag (&buf, pool, svn_xml_normal,
                              SVN_RA_PIPE__TARGET_REVISION_TAG, NULL);
       svn_stringbuf_appendcstr (buf, apr_psprintf (pool,
@@ -205,10 +205,10 @@
       svn_xml_make_close_tag (&buf, pool, SVN_RA_PIPE__TARGET_REVISION_TAG);
     }

-  if (target && target->data)
+  if (target)
     {
       svn_stringbuf_t *escaped_target = NULL;
-      svn_xml_escape_stringbuf (&escaped_target, target, pool);
+      svn_xml_escape_nts (&escaped_target, target, pool);
       svn_xml_make_open_tag (&buf, pool, svn_xml_normal,
                              SVN_RA_PIPE__UPDATE_TARGET_TAG, NULL);
       svn_stringbuf_appendstr (buf, escaped_target);
Index: ./libsvn_ra_pipe/ra_pipe.h
--- ./libsvn_ra_pipe/ra_pipe.h
+++ ./libsvn_ra_pipe/ra_pipe.h	Fri Jul 12 23:28:09 2002
@@ -32,6 +32,7 @@
 #define SVN_RA_PIPE__REQUEST_TAG        "S:request"
 #define SVN_RA_PIPE__CLOSE_SESSION_TAG  "S:close"
 #define SVN_RA_PIPE__LATEST_REVNUM_TAG  "S:latest-revnum"
+#define SVN_RA_PIPE__DATED_REVNUM_TAG   "S:dated-revnum"
 #define SVN_RA_PIPE__GET_LOG_TAG        "S:get-log"
 #define SVN_RA_PIPE__PATH_TAG           "S:path"
 #define SVN_RA_PIPE__CHECK_PATH_TAG     "S:check-path"
@@ -74,7 +75,7 @@
                            apr_file_t *input,
                            apr_file_t *output,
                            const char *url,
-                           svn_stringbuf_t *target,
+                           const char *target,
                            const char *dst_path,
                            svn_revnum_t revision,
                            svn_boolean_t recurse,
Index: ./bindings/swig/python/setup.py
--- ./bindings/swig/python/setup.py
+++ ./bindings/swig/python/setup.py	Mon Jun 17 00:47:20 2002
@@ -21,7 +21,7 @@
 from distutils.command import build_ext
 from distutils import dir_util

-INC_DIRS=['..', '../../../include', '../../../../apr/include']
+INC_DIRS=['..', '../../../include', '/usr/local/apache2/include']
 LIB_DIRS=['/usr/local/svn/lib']

 class build_swig(build_ext.build_ext):
Index: ./clients/cmdline/main.c
--- ./clients/cmdline/main.c
+++ ./clients/cmdline/main.c	Fri Jul 12 23:28:09 2002
@@ -311,8 +311,10 @@
     "        Date, LastChangedDate    - The date/time the object was last "
     "modified.\n"
     "        Rev, LastChangedRevision - The last revision the object changed.\n"
-    "      svn:executable - If present, make the file executable. (Any\n"
-    "        attempt to set this property on a directory will be ignored.)\n"
+    "      svn:executable - If present, make the file executable. This\n"
+    "        property cannot be set on a directory.  A non-recursive attempt\n"
+    "        will fail, and a recursive attempt will set the property only\n"
+    "        on the file children of the directory.\n"
     "      svn:eol-style  - One of 'native', 'LF', 'CR', 'CRLF'. \n"
     "      svn:mimetype   - The mimetype of the file.  Used to determine\n"
     "        whether to merge the file, and how to serve it from Apache.\n"
Index: ./tests/clients/cmdline/getopt_tests_data/svn--version_stdout
--- ./tests/clients/cmdline/getopt_tests_data/svn--version_stdout
+++ ./tests/clients/cmdline/getopt_tests_data/svn--version_stdout	Fri Jul 12 07:54:29 2002
@@ -11,4 +11,6 @@
   - handles 'https' schema
 * ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
   - handles 'file' schema
+* ra_pipe : Module for accessing a repository via stdin/stdout.
+  - handles 'pipe' schema

Index: ./libsvn_ra_dav/session.c
--- ./libsvn_ra_dav/session.c
+++ ./libsvn_ra_dav/session.c	Fri Jul 12 23:28:09 2002
@@ -373,6 +373,9 @@
   sess = ne_session_create(uri.scheme, uri.host, uri.port);
   sess2 = ne_session_create(uri.scheme, uri.host, uri.port);

+  ne_set_read_timeout(sess, 6000);
+  ne_set_read_timeout(sess2, 6000);
+
   /* If there's a proxy for this URL, use it. */
   {
     const char *proxy_host;

Note that I wasn't trying to commit all of these changes :) Particularly note
the diff for ./libsvn_wc/props.c and ./libsvn_client/prop_commands.c which
seem to contain a delta for both of the revs I tried to commit.

A new issue with a tarball is coming up.

Re: nasty commit bug

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.
I saw this same problem last night while setting up a new subversion
repository.  "svn commit" was hanging on added files.  After saving
changes and re-checking out, then checking new stuff in I discovered that
one file was corrupt.  It appeared to be a mix in one section of several
different versions, and I lost the end of the file.  Thankfully, using
subversion, I recovered the original file version and patched in the
missing parts.

   - David

On 12 Jul 2002, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> Pilchie had to run off for a bit, but he's discovered some kind of
> nasty bug:
>
>   1.  his commit segfaulted in post-commit processing
>
>   2.  he managed to commit a garbaged props.c file.  (even though we
>       have a checksum!)
>
> These two problems may or may not be related.  But before he vanished
> from IRC, he printed a backtrace in gdb that indicated that problem #1
> probably has something to do with the new libsvn_wc batons:
>
> <pilchie> #0  0x0806c00d in svn_wc_adm_write_check (adm_access=0x0)
> <pilchie>     at ../svn.source/subversion/libsvn_wc/lock.c:135
> <pilchie> #1  0x080640ac in svn_wc_process_committed (
> <pilchie>     path=0x80e0448 "/home/kevin/projects/svn.source/subversion/clients/cmdline/main.c", adm_access=0x0, recurse=0, new_revnum=2489,
> <pilchie>     rev_date=0x8117148 "2002-07-12T16:32:04.893379Z",
> <pilchie>     rev_author=0x8117168 "kevin", pool=0x81119e0)
> <pilchie>     at ../svn.source/subversion/libsvn_wc/adm_ops.c:202
> <sussman> oh NO
> <pilchie> #2  0x08055711 in svn_client_commit (commit_info=0xbffff8e8,
> <pilchie>     notify_func=0x804d190 <notify>, notify_baton=0x80e39e0,
> <pilchie>     auth_baton=0x80e36c0, targets=0x80e3650,
> <pilchie>     log_msg_func=0x805314c <svn_cl__get_log_message>, log_msg_baton=0x80e39f8,
> <sussman> you committed garbage!
> <pilchie>     xml_dst=0x0, revision=-1, nonrecursive=0, pool=0x80db8a0)
> <sussman> look at the log message!
> <pilchie>     at ../svn.source/subversion/libsvn_client/commit.c:928
> <pilchie> #3  0x0804c791 in svn_cl__commit (os=0x80dba00, opt_state=0xbffffa10,
> <pilchie>     pool=0x80db8a0) at ../svn.source/subversion/clients/cmdline/commit-cmd.c:91
> <pilchie> #4  0x0805010d in main (argc=6, argv=0xbffffaf4)
> <pilchie>     at ../svn.source/subversion/clients/cmdline/main.c:1229
> <pilchie> WTF
> <pilchie> ?
> <sussman> yes
> <sussman> props.c is garbaged on the server now
> * pilchie is confused.
> <pilchie> AND has to leave for work.
> <sussman> don't worry...
> <pilchie> Can you revert that, and I'll try again later.
> <sussman> we'll revert the change
> <sussman> and figger out what's up
> <sussman> wonder if your text-base is corrupted
> <sussman> or something
> <pilchie> Seems to be philips wc_baton thing.
> <sussman> (though we have checksums for that!)
> <pilchie> It's null in the bt.

David Wayne Summers          "Linux: Because reboots are for upgrades!"
david@summersoft.fay.ar.us   PGP Key: http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/~david/pgp.txt
PGP Key fingerprint =  C0 E0 4F 50 DD A9 B6 2B  60 A1 31 7E D2 28 6D A8