Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2000/07/09 02:27:47 UTC

Re: filter insertion

On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 08:15:41PM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> > *) mod_include would define the magic MIME type
> >    "application/vnd.apache-ssi"
> > *) mod_include registers that MIME type as "input" to the filter named
> >    "ssi-parse". it also registers the output will be "text/html"
> > *) CGI scripts would use that MIME type for their output
>
> Bzzt.  CGI scripts must not be required to use magic
> server-specific types.  For one thing, that breaks the
> ability of the user to indicate whether the script's
> output should be filtered or not. -1.  The addition of
> filtering should not require any changes to existing
> scripts; black box.

Ken: that was an alternative to .conf-based specification. As I said, I have
no problem with explicit specification of what CGI output will go through.

I think the ap_set_content_type() is a Good Thing. Whether CGI uses it or
not: I'm not upset if you're -1 on it. I'm perfectly happy with AddFilter or
the like.

I am *totally* in your camp, re: requiring no changes to existing scripts.
Further, I don't think that we should require any *modules* to change to
take advantage of filtering.

Cheers,
-g

--