Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Robert Morse <rm...@mdesignz.com> on 2009/05/30 01:31:10 UTC

Versionable binary content best practices

Hello,
I'm looking for an example of saving documents (pdf files) in the
repository along with various properties.
These documents need to be versioned.
I've found a couple of references, but nothing that really addresses
the issue.   During my search I came across a post
on jcrdev.com that concisely asked what I'm trying to do (although the
poster wasn't concerned about versioning and I am).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and once I produce a solution,
I'll be more than happy to post it so others can benefit.

<------ Post from jcrdev.com ------->

hello all,

Although it sounds like a basic question, I just can not find a good
source to answer, what I think is such a basic problem.

*Produce binary content.

*have properties associated with that content.

*want to store, then be able to search the properties and retrieve the
binary content.

------

Example:

Document1.pdf

client_fname: bart

client_lname: simpson

client_company: yoville

document_type: contract

document_sign_date: 5/5/2009

-----

use cases:

*Search for all documents associated with bart simpson, print them all
out.

*Search for all contract documents for company yoville.

*Search for sign_dates older than 10 years ago, archive off.

What should the CND/nodetype/primary or mixin setup be to support the
above, especially if you plan on handling 100k of those documents
(narrow v deep structures)?  I've seen nt:unstructured/nt:resource/
nt:file (sometimes with recommended nt:folder above nt:file) and then
they say 'add properties as desired' but no REAL examples.

TIA, just suprised I can't find examples

The human mind is an iterative processor, it never does anything right
the first time.  What it does well is to make improvements on every
iteration (deMarco)