Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Jonathan Hawkins <jo...@hawkinsweb.co.uk> on 2004/10/20 13:45:37 UTC

Do Roles work ?

I created a role with every permission except close permission. Created a
new user and gave him the new role and no others. Logged in as the new user
and he can still use the close button on the portlets. Shouldn't the close
button either be disabled or invisible ?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Jon Hawkins

---

Re: Do Roles work ?

Posted by Stefano Bianchi <st...@softeco.it>.
Dear Jon
I experienced something like role fallback:

if a psml for a specific user is not found, then the system use the one with
the same name defined for the role the user is assigned to.

If there is still a psml for the user (like default.psml) where the button
is active, then the system will show this and not the one for the role.

To obtain what you need, I would remove the psml for the user.

But you have to enable role fallback in properties file before...

I hope this is correct enough, tech guys... Any other hint?
Bye
Stefano

RE: Do Roles work ?

Posted by Jonathan Hawkins <jo...@hawkinsweb.co.uk>.
Thanks for the reply, that will certainly do in the short term. The idea was
to have the portlet close button available dependant upon the user's role.

Thanks

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

RE: Do Roles work ?

Posted by Jonathan Hawkins <jo...@hawkinsweb.co.uk>.
Dan,

Thanks for the reply. The Close box I am trying to disable is on every
portlet's title bar, first icon I think.

Jon

> I created a role with every permission except close permission.
> Created a
> new user and gave him the new role and no others. Logged in as the
> new user
> and he can still use the close button on the portlets. Shouldn't the
> close
> button either be disabled or invisible ?

This procedure has workd for me.  Did you follow the directions under
the RoleMerge heading here:
http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-1/config_guide.html

That's required before you get roles copied, otherwise, I believe a new
user is given psml copied from the turbine user.  (Just so you know,
rolemerging doesn't work out of the box for any page except
default.psml, see
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=jetspeed-user@jakarta.ap
ache.org&msgNo=14891
for more).

Also, I'm not sure where you see the close box.  Is it on the home page
or in the customizer?  Even when I didn't give folks the close
permission, when they're in the customizer, they have the ability to
close portlets.  My solution was to not allow them to customize certain
groups of portlets.

Dan

---

Re: Do Roles work ?