Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Phil Harvey <ph...@philharveyonline.com> on 2013/06/03 17:54:46 UTC

AMQP 1.0 JMS client requirements and design

I have drafted a page on the wiki for the AMQP 1.0 JMS client proposing (at
a high level):

- Requirements
- Phasing of the work
- Design (including automated testing approach).

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/AMQP+1.0+JMS+Client+Requirements+and+Design

Feel free to edit the page, add comments, or to reply to this thread.

Phil

Re: AMQP 1.0 JMS client requirements and design

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 06/03/2013 04:54 PM, Phil Harvey wrote:
> I have drafted a page on the wiki for the AMQP 1.0 JMS client proposing (at
> a high level):
>
> - Requirements
> - Phasing of the work
> - Design (including automated testing approach).
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/AMQP+1.0+JMS+Client+Requirements+and+Design
>
> Feel free to edit the page, add comments, or to reply to this thread.

One question I have is around the mapping of JMS client-id to AMQP.

ActiveMQ for example uses the container-id (since that then gives the
correct scope to allow JMS durable subscription naming to match AMQP
link naming). I believe the existing Qpid JMS AMQP 1.0 client does the
same (probably not a coincidence!).

However, in accordance with the JMS specification, ActiveMQ also
enforces only one active connection from a given client-id, therefore in
AMQP terms only one connection from a given container[1]. A more
sophisticated mapping is needed to allow the JMS constraint to be
enforced without imposing unnecessary restrictions on other AMQP
connections[2].

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-4590

[2] The AMQP spec doesn't explicitly require that you allow more than
one connection from a given container, but it is certainly implied by
the model.