Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2008/01/23 19:40:58 UTC

[VOTE] Please approve Tuscany SCA Java 1.1-incubating release

Hi,

The Tuscany project had a vote on tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org to publish the
Tuscany SCA Java 1.1-incubating release. The vote thread on tuscany-dev has
7 +1s and an archive can be found at:

http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev%40ws.apache.org/msg27321.html

The release includes new function and bug fixes. You can see a list of
changes at:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/java/sca/1.1-RC3/distribution/src/main/release/CHANGES

The signed binary and source distributions, the RAT reports, and the Maven
staging repository are listed at the following links.

SVN Tag:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/java/sca/1.1-RC3/

Stage maven repo:
http://people.apache.org/~slaws/tuscany/1.1-RC3/maven/
<http://people.apache.org/%7Eslaws/tuscany/1.1-RC3/maven/>

RAT report:
http://people.apache.org/~slaws/tuscany/1.1-RC3/rat-1.1-RC3.txt<http://people.apache.org/%7Eslaws/tuscany/1.1-RC3/rat-1.1-RC3.txt>

Binary and source distros (zip/gz/asc/md5) :
http://people.apache.org/~slaws/tuscany/1.1-RC3/<http://people.apache.org/%7Eslaws/tuscany/1.1-RC3/>

Please review and approve the release. This vote will remain open for at
least 72 hours.

Thanks,

Simon

Re: [VOTE] Please approve Tuscany SCA Java 1.1-incubating release

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
Hi sebb

Thank you for the detailed review.

Can you tell me what you mean by

On Jan 24, 2008 4:57 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 24/01/2008, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think the NOTICE files in the artifacts that are actually being
> > distributed are OK.
>
> Surely the archive bundles are also distributed?
>
> snip..

Also can you tell me if you consider that the issues you have found to be
blocking issues?

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Jan 25, 2008 12:50 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > > to be distributed, thats what this vote is for. AFAICT the LICENSE and
> > > NOTICE files in the root of those archives are fine, the jar names
> within
> > > the LICENSE are just a convenience and all the necessary licenses are
>
> I disagree that the jar names are "just a convenience", given the
> range of different licenses and jars included in the product.
>
> > > included. The LICENSE and NOTICE files in the jars in the staging
> Maven
> > > repository also look fine to me.
> > >
> > > This vote is to release these artifacts not the contents of Tuscany
> SVN,
>
> The vote is also about the source and binary archives.
>
> > > the
> > > build scripts in the SVN tag will reproduce exactly these artifacts.
> > >
> > > There are a few work files left over from the build process which
> > > inadvertently got included in the src distro, we'll fix that for next
> time
> > > along with the jar version names (has been already if we do need to
> respin
> > >
> > > this), but the presence of those files doesn't cause any trouble.
> > >
> > > So far none of the points brought up here seem blockers to me so I'm
> still
> > > +1 on this release, what do others think?
> > >
> > >   ...ant
> >

> > Hi
> >
> > Sebb has raised useful comments in his review so I am inclined to fix
> these
> > in our release branch and respin the release candidate. I will..
> >
> > - remove the work files that are included in the distribution in error
> > - remove the lower level NOTICE and LICENSE files from, for example,
> > demos/mortgage-loanapproval/src/main/resources/META-INF as these are not
> > actually required and are causing confusion.
> > - update the LICENSE file to provided version numbers for all jars (and
> > correct the ones pointed out)
>
> Sounds good.
>
> > I'm going to leave the ${pom.name} at the start of the NOTICE files as
> this
> > is used by the build process to autogenerate the module names. The
> > distribution archives can be reproduced as required from the tag in SVN
> by
> > running our distribution maven build but there will remain differences
> > between the tag in SVN and the contents of the source archive built from
> it.
>
> I think that's OK so long as the top-level NOTICE file(s) show(s) the
> true product name.
>

> > If it's OK I'll run the vote threads for the new RC in the Tuscany
> community
> > and the IPMC in parallel as I would like to get any further comments
> from
> > the IPMC as soon as possible.
> > Thanks
> >
> > Simon

> OK, thanks for the comments. Please consider this VOTE  thread terminated.
There is a new release candiate (RC3a) addressing the issues raised on this
thread as disccused. I will start a new VOTE thread against RC3a shortly.

Regards

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

http://people.apache.org/~slaws/tuscany/1.1-RC3/<http://people.apache.org/%7Eslaws/tuscany/1.1-RC3/>are

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
Hi sebb

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
Hi sebb

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 24/01/2008, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the NOTICE files in the artifacts that are actually being
> distributed are OK.

Surely the archive bundles are also distributed?

==

There are some discrepancies in the jar files covered by the LICENSE
file - the names mentioned in the LICENSE file don't necessarily
appear in the lib directory (and vice versa)
(LIC=LICENSE, DIR=present in lib directory)

LIC: axis2-adb-codegen-1.3.jar
DIR: axis2-codegen-1.3.jar

LIC: derby-10.1.3.1.jar
DIR: derby-10.1.2.1.jar

LIC: stax-api-1.0.2.jar
DIR: stax-api-1.0-2.jar

The following are mentioned in the LICENSE file, but don't appear to be present:
addressing-1.3.mar
maven-artifact-2.0.2.jar
maven-artifact-manager-2.0.2.jar
maven-error-diagnostics-2.0.2.jar
maven-model-2.0.2.jar
maven-profile-2.0.2.jar
maven-project-2.0.2.jar
maven-repository-metadata-2.0.2.jar
maven-settings-2.0.2.jar
opensaml-1.1.jar
plexus-container-default-1.0-alpha-9.jar
plexus-utils-1.1.jar
rampart-1.3.mar
wagon-file-1.0-alpha-7.jar
wagon-http-lightweight-1.0-alpha-6.jar
wagon-provider-api-1.0-alpha-6.jar

Not sure what "dojotoolkit" mentioned in the LICENSE file refers to.

It would be useful if the LICENSE file used a standard format for the
jar files names, as is done for the ASF jars. Elsewhere in the file,
jars may be listed without the .jar extension and/or without the
version suffix, and sometimes multiple files are listed in a
paragraph.

The lack of a version suffix is potentially serious, as licenses may
change between releases.

> The ${pom.name} is changed by the build process so the
> generated artifact has the proper name, for example, the jar built for
> wsdl2java ends up with a NOTICE file containing "Apache Tuscany SCA
> WSDL2Java Tool", see inside:
> http://people.apache.org/~slaws/tuscany/1.1-RC3/maven/org/apache/tuscany/sca/tuscany-wsdl2java/1.1-incubating/tuscany-wsdl2java-1.1-incubating.jar

That looks OK.
 .

> The mortgage-loanapproval is only distributed within the src and bin
> distributions and the NOTICE file in those distributions does include all
> the necessary references so that also looks ok to me.
>
> Including the Derby.log is a mistake, but I don't think its a blocker :)

Agreed.

Though it reveals something about the builder's PC environment, so
they may wish it was not present ;-)

There are several other derby.log files in the source archive.

There's also some 40GB of log-nnn.dat files in the

tuscany-sca-1.1-incubating-src\itest\jms\activemq-data\localhost\journal

directory in the source archive.

Another smaller log file in:

tuscany-sca-1.1-incubating-src\modules\implementation-openjpa\test\log

There are also 3 db.lck files.

Are these really needed for the source archive?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
I think the NOTICE files in the artifacts that are actually being
distributed are OK. The ${pom.name} is changed by the build process so the

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.