Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Patrik Husfloen <pa...@student.liu.se> on 2002/09/15 11:45:04 UTC

Working copy text base is corrupt?

ok, I just tried checking in a bunch of changes including changes to:
servicerapport.rpt
which is a binary file.
The commit fails with the folowing message:

Transmitting file data ....svn: Working copy text base is corrupt
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: svn_wc_transmit_text_deltas: checksum mismatch for
'D:/rost2/rapporter/.svn
/text-base/servicerapport.rpt.svn-base':
    recorded checksum: Dc7bJ6DPdu8ngJAlMhIf8A==
    actual checksum:   SfdqqmJAw/JgVHJADqwdTw==

I tried running "svn cleanup" and "svn update" and both run just fine,
but the error still remains.

/Patrik

Re: Working copy text base is corrupt?

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Patrik Husfloen <pa...@student.liu.se> writes:

> not that it's very useful but here is the result :)
>
> 0000C560: 0D 04
> 0000C561: 0D 03
> 0000C562: 0D 08
> 0000C563: 0D 03
> 0000C564: 0D 05
> 0000C565: F9 03
> 0000C566: 12 03
> 0000C567: 07 03
> 0000C568: 00 03
> 0000C569: 00 03
> 0000C56A: 00 03
> 0000C56B: 00 03
> 0000C56C: 1E 03
> 0000C56D: EB 01
> 0000C56E: 03 00
> 0000C56F: 15 FC
> 0000C570: 12 FC
> 0000C571: 12 FC
> 0000C572: 12 FC
> 0000C573: 12 FC
> 0000C574: 04 FC
> 0000C575: 03 FC
> 0000C576: 08 FC
> 0000C577: 03 F9
> 0000C578: 0A 12
> 0000C579: 03 07
> 0000C57A: 03 00
> 0000C57B: 03 00
> 0000C57C: 03 00
> 0000C57D: 03 00
> 0000C57E: 03 1E
> 0000C57F: 03 EB

If I interpret the output format correctly, this implies that the
corruption is limited to 32 consecutive bytes.  It doesn't look random
either, bits of the second column (C560 to C56B and C578 to C57F)
almost match bits of the first column (C574 to C57F and C566 to C56D).

You stated in an earlier mail that the filesystem time stamp on the
corrupt text base matched the time stamp in the .svn/entries file.
This seems to imply that the corruption occurred when the file was
installed.  However the checksum is calculated at that time, so it's
hard to see how it could be wrong.  Mysterious.

--
Philip Martin

Re: Working copy text base is corrupt?

Posted by Patrik Husfloen <pa...@student.liu.se>.

> What about:
>
> fc /b file1 file2
>
> (from the list of lesser known DOS/Windows command prompt utils :)
I had no idea that was there, thanks!

Posted by Julian Fitzell <ju...@beta4.com>.
Patrik Husfloen wrote:
[...]
>  > Is it possible to compare the svn-base
>  > files from the corrupt and non-corrupt working copies to determine
>  > what the difference is?
>
> well it's a binary file.. and I haev no tools to do a binary diff right
> here.

[...]

What about:

fc /b file1 file2

(from the list of lesser known DOS/Windows command prompt utils :)

Julian

--
julian@beta4.com
Beta4 Productions (http://www.beta4.com)

Re: Working copy text base is corrupt?

Posted by Patrik Husfloen <pa...@student.liu.se>.
(forgot to CC the list)

 >> so it would appear that somehow my .svn-base has been corrupted..?
 >

 > Yes :-(  Can you copy it, rename it to remove the .svn-base, and then
 > determine if it is valid?

It is indeed corrupt, it wont open.

 > Is it possible to compare the svn-base
 > files from the corrupt and non-corrupt working copies to determine
 > what the difference is?

well it's a binary file.. and I haev no tools to do a binary diff right
here.

 > Are the files the same size?  How does the
 > date on the corrupt text base compare to that reported by 'svn info'?

modified-date and size are exactly the same for both files.

I suspect this has something to do with the massive filesystem
corruption I've been experiencing lately, I haven't yet been able to
isolate a cause, but it would appear the problem is still there, even
after the reinstall. When I downloaded the PSDK the other day about 10%
of the files were corrupted, downloading them again resolved the problem..
I guess I'll have to strip the computer again *sigh*

replacing the .svn-base file from the old WC with the one from the newly
checked out revision solved the problem.

thanks,

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Patrik Husfloen <pa...@student.liu.se> writes:

> this is the correct output from 'svn info'

> Revision: 51
> Node Kind: file
> Schedule: normal
> Last Changed Author: redoz
> Last Changed Rev: 45
> Last Changed Date: 2002-06-25 22:43:47 +0200 (ti, 25 jun 2002)
> Text Last Updated: 2002-09-15 16:02:38 +0200 (s÷, 15 sep 2002)
> Properties Last Updated: 2002-09-15 16:02:38 +0200 (s÷, 15 sep 2002)
> Checksum: Dc7bJ6DPdu8ngJAlMhIf8A==

Ah, that's much better!  Re your previous mail: the "Last Updated"
fields refer to files in the .svn admin area, so the date should be
that of the last svn command that modified them.

> so it would appear that somehow my .svn-base has been corrupted..?

Yes :-(  Can you copy it, rename it to remove the .svn-base, and then
determine if it is valid?  Is it possible to compare the svn-base
files from the corrupt and non-corrupt working copies to determine
what the difference is?  Are the files the same size?  How does the

Posted by Patrik Husfloen <pa...@student.liu.se>.
>> Check out a new working copy into a new directory and run 'svn info'
 >> on servicerapport.rpt in that working copy.  What checksum do you get?
 >>
 > it doesn't show a checksum..

<snip>
oups

Posted by Patrik Husfloen <pa...@student.liu.se>.
> Which version of Subversion are you using?
built it from SVN/CVS with VS6+SP5 on Win2k
Subversion Client, version 0.14.2 (dev build)
    compiled Sep 13 2002, 12:12:42

> Can you provide more
> history, what you have done to this file in this working copy?
not sure, it was a while ago since I used this WC..
but iirc I changed the width of some fields.

> Have
> you committed this file from this working copy before?
most likely, but it was 2 windows installs ago.
(the dir had not yet commited changes to I burned it to cd before I
formated)

> Did you run
> any failed or interrupted Subversion commands?
not that I know of/remember

> What do the commands
> 'svn st -uv servicerapport.rpt' and 'svn info servicerapport.rpt'
> show?
M_             51       45      redoz   servicerapport.rpt
Head revision:     51

and

Revision: 51
Node Kind: file
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: redoz
Last Changed Rev: 45
Last Changed Date: 2002-06-25 22:43:47 +0200 (ti, 25 jun 2002)
Text Last Updated: 2002-06-25 22:43:49 +0200 (ti, 25 jun 2002)
Checksum: Dc7bJ6DPdu8ngJAlMhIf8A==

> The file D:/rost2/rapporter/.svn/text-base/servicerapport.rpt.svn-base
> should be the file without your local changes.  Can you determine if
> it is correct?
well I am _pretty_ sure I never opened it, especially as the program
wouldn't recognize the .svn-base file extension

> Check out a new working copy into a new directory and run 'svn info'
> on servicerapport.rpt in that working copy.  What checksum do you get?

it doesn't show a checksum..
however:
Revision: 51
Node Kind: file
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: redoz
Last Changed Rev: 45
Last Changed Date: 2002-06-25 22:43:47 +0200 (ti, 25 jun 2002)
Text Last Updated: 2002-09-15 16:51:37 +0200 (s÷, 15 sep 2002)
Properties Last Updated: 2002-09-15 16:51:37 +0200 (s÷, 15 sep 2002)

I never changed any properties.. also, it is 15:55 here now (3:55 pm)..

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Patrik Husfloen <pa...@student.liu.se> writes:

> ok, I just tried checking in a bunch of changes including changes to:
> servicerapport.rpt
> which is a binary file.
> The commit fails with the folowing message:
>
> Transmitting file data ....svn: Working copy text base is corrupt
> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: svn_wc_transmit_text_deltas: checksum mismatch for
> 'D:/rost2/rapporter/.svn
>
> /text-base/servicerapport.rpt.svn-base':
>     recorded checksum: Dc7bJ6DPdu8ngJAlMhIf8A==
>     actual checksum:   SfdqqmJAw/JgVHJADqwdTw==

Which version of Subversion are you using?  Can you provide more
history, what you have done to this file in this working copy?  Have
you committed this file from this working copy before?  Did you run
any failed or interrupted Subversion commands?  What do the commands