Posted to community@apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/31 12:02:46 UTC

Review of ACEU Planning

Hi,

I was going to wait until after ACEU had actually taken place, however
by November I might have hung myself with a short length of piano wire
so I thought I'd briefly suggest one possible action post event.

We need to have some kind of investigation into the planning aspect of
this community conference. Having really enjoyed not only the on-site
planning and running of ACNA 2011, Vancouver, I happily stepped up to
be a helper/planner for ACEU. For the first time in my first year and
a half relationship within the ASF this is the first time I'm actually
finding myself getting slightly confused/annoyed with the consistent
lack of attention to detail within planning.

I am not trying to take anything away from those within the foundation
who are trying their damn hardest to keep things moving, but I think
for the benefit of the community some kind of analysis needs to be
undertaken to see why, where and when things started going pear
shaped.

To close, I know this has been a concern for ConCom, Travel
Assistance, board and others for some time and that this news is not
new news... but for planners of this years ACEU who sit outside the
aforementioned groups within the Foundation we also feel that the
planning has been extremely haphazard and it will more than likely
have an effect on potential long term planners returning for another
future planning battle.

I hope I've communicated my thoughts without offending anyone or any
one group directly as this is not my intention, merely to try and
improve the workflows we are using to build the ASF community.

Lewis

--
Lewis

Re: Review of ACEU Planning

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 31 August 2012 11:52, Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bertrand,
>
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:23 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I doubt you meant to send this to community@apache.org?
>>

> No I pretty much did mean to send it to a community based list. I
> didn't want to sent this over to apachecon-discuss@, planners@ or
> concom@ or anything else... however you are correct though regarding
> that community@ might not have been the best place to send this given
> that the traffic is extremely low and therefore I expect it not to
> invoke too much discussion over here.
>
> Do you have any better suggestions for the appropriate list? The
> message should be geared to the entire community... more specifically
> to individuals who care about out flagship conference being a success.

dev@community.apache.org?

Ross

Re: Review of ACEU Planning

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bertrand,

<bd...@apache.org> wrote:

> I doubt you meant to send this to community@apache.org?

No I pretty much did mean to send it to a community based list. I
didn't want to sent this over to apachecon-discuss@, planners@ or
concom@ or anything else... however you are correct though regarding
that community@ might not have been the best place to send this given
that the traffic is extremely low and therefore I expect it not to
invoke too much discussion over here.

Do you have any better suggestions for the appropriate list? The
message should be geared to the entire community... more specifically
to individuals who care about out flagship conference being a success.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Regards

Lewis

--
Lewis