Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by larva der <la...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/17 20:50:12 UTC

JAMES support +1000 users?

Hi, i'm using JAMES as a full email solution at
work(in argentina... excuse me for my poor english
;-), The problem is (i'm using mysql for store inbox
and users) it hangs up the server (runs stable for
hours with 200 processes but it jumps to 1200! and
kill my linux)
Please help me if you have a implementation bigger
than that or a solution! The connection pool is set to
20 connections but it grows to 140 connections open!

Products:
James 2.0a3
Jdk1.4.0_01
mysql 3.23.51
RedHat 7.3
Server NEC: Celeron 400Mhz HD20G 512M(ram) 1024(swap)

Bye.
Javier.

RE: JAMES support +1000 users?

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
I'd suggest you try the "latest" build, or the head of CVS where a number of
significant changes have been made which will affect performance.

It'd be usefull if you could give us some load statistics, though I know
James doesn't provide these in a useful way :-(

d.

Re: JAMES support +1000 users?

Posted by adrian <at...@charter.net>.
    I don`t know about jmail, but as Far as James, I`ve stress tested it
with over 10,000
emails one right after another to different accounts on a relatively low
resource machine.
800mghtz celeron + 256MB sdram on FreeBSD 4.6.2 with the Native build of
jdk1.3.1p7
I didn`t lose any messages and have had it running for about a month.
    I am about to replace our current setup of Sendmail + Squirrell mail,
but haven`t had time to evaluate
Jmail. In all honesty, Sendmail is faster on my benchmarker, but I often
build Linux , BSD, NT, and 2000
servers for my clients and James really solves the cross platform problem as
well as cost and SMTP_AUTH. SMTP_AUTH and ease of configuration was the real
selling point for me. I spent way to many months learning to config
sendmail, and about 3 hours to learn James to a useable level.