Posted to user@jspwiki.apache.org by "Gardner, Mike" <Mi...@crowncastle.com> on 2019/12/10 13:20:29 UTC

Adding or Modifying a Change Note

We have wiki users who often forget to add a Change Note despite repeated haranguings to please do so.  I've tired of being the school marm wagging my finger at them.

How can we add or modify a Change Note after the fact?  I don't see a way to do it in the UI.

Thanks,
Mike

This email may contain confidential or privileged material. Use or disclosure of it by anyone other than the recipient is unauthorized. If you are not an intended recipient, please delete this email.

RE: Adding or Modifying a Change Note

Posted by "Gardner, Mike" <Mi...@crowncastle.com>.
Thank you, Dirk.  I'll look to apply your JSP suggestion.

Perhaps I should file two Jira improvement suggestions?
   - A property to make the Change Note a mandatory field.
   - Some ability to modify the Change Note after-the-fact, like you can for a commit comment in Git or Subversion.  Sometimes, the entered text is ... shall we say ... lacking.   (And even if we make the Change Note mandatory going forward, I'm still left with something of a legacy of missing or ineffective notes that I may selectively clean up, for example, for the Recent Changes page.)

My appreciation to those who responded.

Mike

Posted by Dirk Frederickx <di...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Currently indeed the change-note on a page-edit is an optional field.

It is not hard to make it a required field;  if you are ready to modify a
JSP.

Here is how:

1)
Open /templates/default/editors/plain.jsp

2)
Add a 'required' attribute to the CHANGENOTE input field

        <input class="form-control" type="text" name="changenote"
id="changenote" size="80" maxlength="80"
             placeholder="<fmt:message key='editor.plain.changenote'/>"
required
             value="${changenote}" />

3)
Add a 'formnovalidate' attribute to the CANCEL button of the editor.
(otherwise you cannot cancel the form without giving a 'bogus' change-note
:-) )

Posted by Ulf Dittmer <ul...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Col Willis <co...@gmail.com>.