Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by dean gaudet <de...@arctic.org> on 2001/09/10 22:15:38 UTC

why serialisation is required with multiple sockets

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Marc Slemko wrote:
>
> > There is nothing to test.  Using the 1.3 process based model, you need
> > serialized accepts if you have multiple listening sockets.  Period.
>
> Unless your kernel socket or higher level accept filter's do the
> serialization for you.

maybe someone else has posted explaining this already, but i figured i'd
just point you to my documentation anyhow... see
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/perf-tuning.html> and read the accept
serialization sections.

it would be a violation of the POSIX standard if the kernel did NOT wake
up all select() sleepers when a connection arrives.  (for example, there's
absolutely no requirement that a select() caller actually even call
accept()).

-dean