Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Thomas Papke <tp...@thopap.de> on 2006/03/07 13:11:15 UTC

Question

Hello,

anyone implement the "Google Suggest" Feature using Lucene? The Frontend
is clear - but i need a very fast way to retrieve matching terms. For
example: The user typed "Ab" and i want to give him a list of 10
possible words in term "name" starting with "Ab*". So i don't need the
hole document and i need this information realy fast.

Thx,
Thomas

Re: Question

Posted by gekkokid <me...@gekkokid.org.uk>.
would lucene even have to be accessed? couldnt you save the queries when
submitted and search that via a sql database?

_gk

Re: Question

Posted by Jeff Rodenburg <je...@gmail.com>.
We've done this, and it's not that complex.  (Sorry, client won't allow me
to release the code.)
It's AJAX on the front end, so that background call is simply executing a
search against an index that consists of the aggregated search terms.  We do
wildcard queries to get the results we want.  For us, the search term
represents the whole document.

Pretty straightforward.

-- j

RE: Question

Posted by Pasha Bizhan <lu...@lucenedotnet.com>.
Hi,

> From: Thomas Papke [mailto:tp@thopap.de]

> anyone implement the "Google Suggest" Feature using Lucene?
> The Frontend is clear - but i need a very fast way to
> retrieve matching terms. For
> example: The user typed "Ab" and i want to give him a list of
> 10 possible words in term "name" starting with "Ab*". So i
> don't need the hole document and i need this information realy fast.

It was implemented by David Spencer. See
http://searchmorph.com/experiments.php.
Unfortunately online demo is unavailable now :(

Pasha Bizhan