Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com> on 2005/05/13 06:23:39 UTC

AjaxTags v1.0 beta 1 released

Finally got it all set up on http://struts.sf.net.  The first "official"
release is up!

AjaxTags is a project to add AJAX functionality to the existing Struts
HTML taglib.  It allows a developer to jump on the AJAX bandwagon
without actually writing any code.  It's a completely declarative
approach, but with flexibility beyond that if you need it.  It can be
added to new or even existing apps without breaking anything, and with
the ability to selectively add AJAX functions to only those form
elements you want it added to.  All this with very little changes to
existing JSPs.

Enjoy!

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Re: AjaxTags v1.0 beta 1 released

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
AjaxTags currently supports the 1.2 branch (1.2.0 through 1.2.7).  I
don't currently have plans to support 1.1, although that could change if
enough people express an interest.

Frank

Posted by Lixin Chu <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations!  Good work!

On 5/12/05, Frank W. Zammetti <fz...@omnytex.com> wrote:
> Finally got it all set up on http://struts.sf.net.  The first "official"
> release is up!
>
> AjaxTags is a project to add AJAX functionality to the existing Struts
> HTML taglib.  It allows a developer to jump on the AJAX bandwagon
> without actually writing any code.  It's a completely declarative
> approach, but with flexibility beyond that if you need it.  It can be
> added to new or even existing apps without breaking anything, and with
> the ability to selectively add AJAX functions to only those form
> elements you want it added to.  All this with very little changes to
> existing JSPs.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> --
> Frank W. Zammetti
> Founder and Chief Software Architect
> Omnytex Technologies
> http://www.omnytex.com

~Dakota Jack~

Re: AjaxTags v1.0 beta 1 released

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Your right, I will clarify that on the site as soon as possible.  For
the sake of answering the question though...

What you write below is correct... the ajaxRef of the form matches the
ajaxRef of the <form> element in the config file, and the ajaxRef of the
button matches the ajaxRef of the <element> element in the config file.

Each <form> element in the config file contains a collection of
<element> elements, each corresponding to an element of that form on the
page.

Just to confuse you further :) ...

There is no rule against sharing a <form> in the config file... in other
words, if you have five different forms on five different pages of your
app, you are allowed to assign them all the same ajaxRef.  Of course,
you have to be sure the forms have the same elements, at least those you
want to Ajax-enable... in other words, if you share the <form>
configuration, but one of the forms on one of the pages has an element
that is not defined in that <form> configuration and you try and
Ajax-enable that element, it won't work (it should fail gracefully with
an error logged, but come to think of it I'm not sure I ever tested that
case).

And of course, you can reuse the ajaxRef of an <element> if they are in
different <form>s, but naturally not within the same <form>.  That's
actually the precise reason for having an ajaxRef on an <html:form> in
the first place... if it wasn't, then you could only use an ajaxRef once
throughout an entire site regardless of what form is belonged to.  I
didn't think that would go over too well :)

Hope that helps!

Frank

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.