Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Viraj Jasani <vj...@apache.org> on 2020/08/31 18:42:12 UTC

[DISCUSS] Move stable pointer to the latest 2.3.x release

Hello everyone,

While voting for 2.2.6 RC0, we had a short discussion reg
moving stable pointer to the latest 2.3.x and the decision
was to initiate the discuss thread when 2.3.1 and 2.2.6 are
out.

Since 2.3.1 is already out and our RM is busy with 2.2.6
release process, I am initiating this thread to discuss the
same.

Would you all like to consider moving stable release pointer
to 2.3.x release line?
Given the stabilization efforts and some latest features
available with stable tests, I am +1 for the same.

Re: [DISCUSS] Move stable pointer to the latest 2.3.x release

Posted by Viraj Jasani <vj...@apache.org>.
> > We have observed performance degrade in Scan and Bulk load as compared to
> > 1.x, there are couple of JIRAs already in-progress to handle them
> > HBASE-24754, HBASE-24637 & HBASE-24850.
> > IMO we should move stable pointer after fixing these important issues.

Agree that above Jiras are tracking perf issues in 2.x compared to 1.x, but
we don't have stable-1 pointer anymore, so not sure if moving stable pointer
from 2.2.x to 2.3.x should be related to this point. Thought?

> But there is no difference betwee 2.2.x and 2.3.x? The stable pointer is
> already on 2.2.x now.

Perhaps I didn't get this correctly. From features and test stability viewpoint,
there is a good difference b/ these two release lines. Also, some of
features which were committed to branch-1 and branch-2 last year
(e.g snapshot TTL) as well as this year are now shipped only with
2.3 on 2.x release line.
Moreover, it was during 2.2.6 RC0 vote, this discussion was triggered:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rc2628759767b93e2ae8cb43374a83628f683f79704dc0e5f7430a8a5%40%3Cdev.hbase.apache.org%3E

As per the above thread, Guanghao Zhang also looked positive for this
moving stable pointer discussion and confirmed to initiate this thread after
2.2.6 and 2.3.1 are out, and since he is busy with 2.2.6 RC1 as of now,
I am raising this discussion on his behalf so that he doesn't have to
spend more time here.

Posted by Guanghao Zhang <zg...@gmail.com>.
I am +1 to move the stable pointer to 2.3.x. For upgrading from 2.2.x to
2.3.x, I thought the key difference is about the ProcedureStore, which is
implemented by "master local region" in 2.3.x. I can take a try for this.

Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> 于2020年9月1日周二 下午10:27写道:

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.