Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Paul Hunter <pa...@standardlife.com> on 2008/06/11 15:22:56 UTC

[users@httpd] renaming a domain

Hello, I'm fairly new to Apache etc, so forgive me if i'm asking a stupid
question...

My company has a domain called ukgroup.mycomp.com. It has a document root
of the same name. There are also several redirects set up that redirect
requests to other domains. There are also redirects set up in other
domains that point to ukgroup.mycomp.com.

We have a requirement to rename ukgroup.mycomp.com to group.mycomp.com, so
that nobody using the site every sees any reference to ukgroup. Am i right
in assuming that to do this, i am going to have to rename the document
root under htdocs, set up redirects from ukgroup.mycomp.com to point to
the new one, change the DNS so that it recognises group.mycomp.com?

Does this sound correct, or is there any easier way to do this?

I'd be grateful for any advice

Thanks

This e-mail is confidential and, if you are not the intended recipient,
please return it to us and do not retain or disclose it. We filter and
monitor e-mails in order to protect our system and the integrity,
confidentiality and availability of e-mails. We cannot guarantee that
e-mails are risk free and are not responsible for any related damage or
unauthorised alteration of e-mails by third parties after sending.

For more information on Standard Life group, visit our website
http://www.standardlife.com/

Standard Life plc (SC286832), Standard Life Assurance Limited* (SC286833)
and Standard Life Employee Services Limited (SC271355) are all registered
in Scotland at Standard Life House, 30 Lothian Road, Edinburgh EH1 2DH.
*Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. 0131 225
2552. Calls may be recorded/monitored. Standard Life group includes
Standard Life plc and its subsidiaries.

Please consider the environment. Think - before you print.

Re: [users@httpd] renaming a domain

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 15:22, Paul Hunter <pa...@standardlife.com> wrote:

> Hello, I'm fairly new to Apache etc, so forgive me if i'm asking a stupid
> question...
>
> My company has a domain called ukgroup.mycomp.com. It has a document root of
> the same name. There are also several redirects set up that redirect
> requests to other domains. There are also redirects set up in other domains
> that point to ukgroup.mycomp.com.
>
> We have a requirement to rename ukgroup.mycomp.com to group.mycomp.com, so
> that nobody using the site every sees any reference to ukgroup. Am i right
> in assuming that to do this, i am going to have to rename the document root
> under htdocs, set up redirects from ukgroup.mycomp.com to point to the new
> one, change the DNS so that it recognises group.mycomp.com?
>
> Does this sound correct, or is there any easier way to do this?

You don't have to rename the documentroot. Apache doesn't care what
the documentroot is called, as long as it is set correctly in the
config. Users also don't see the documentroot. That your documentroot
happens to have the same name as your domain is just because it was
once set up that way.

Basically what you need to do is:
- Define a DNS entrys group.mycomp.com that points to the same servers
as ukgroup.mycomp.com.
- Change the "servername" directive in your httpd.conf to the new name.
- If you want people to be redirected from the old to the new site
just create a virtual server with the old name, and have it redirect
every request to the new one.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com