Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/18 23:18:25 UTC

[Android] Marshmallow Geolocation Update

Hey

So, I have good news and bad news.

The Bad News:
We have to have a Geolocation Plugin, and for this to work seamlessly, we
have to modify the WebViews to support the plugin.

The Good News:
We can write a wrapper so that it works just like Geolocation used to.  I
have a version that works.  If you use MobileSpec on Marshmallow, you can
use the browser's Geolocation, which is broken and doesn't support
permissions properly, and you can test the new version, which is just the
Browser code with the permission checking code.  It'd be good if the
WebView handled this itself instead of us having to add this code, but at
least there's a hook required to do this.

The new plugin code can be found here:
https://github.com/infil00p/cordova-plugin-geolocation/tree/smores

I haven't tested this with Crosswalk yet, but I'll probably have to add a
change for that to work there as well.  I'm hoping that it's just as easy
to add.

Let me know if this makes sense, or whether I should file an issue with the
Chrome team, or if an issue was already filed about this.

Joe