Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Anatoli Krassavine <an...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2005/03/17 16:29:47 UTC

Suppressing page response - simply override the output stream manually

  Hello,

  Sorry for chipping in late, but I am surprised that
no one mentioned the simplest and cheapest approach:
manually get hold of HttpResponse output stream and
write to it and then close it. Tapestry will not
attempt to re-open the stream.

  I grant that it is based on inside knowledge of
specific current implementation of Tapestry, but I
doubt Howard is going to change it.

  See code below - I used it successfully in several
projects.

public void myListener(IRequestCycle cycle)
{
  RequestContext requestContext =
cycle.getRequestContext();
  HttpServletResponse response =
requestContext.getResponse();

  // set various headers
  response.setHeader("Content-disposition", ....);
  response.setHeader("Content-Length", ....);

  try
  {
    response.setContentType(<appropriate type>);
    OutputStream os = response.getOutputStream();

    os.write(.....);

//  It is VERY important to close the stream at the
end.
    os.close();
  }
  catch(Exception e)
  {
    // do something
  }
}

  Cheers,
   Toly

Anatoli Krassavine

Re: Suppressing page response - simply override the output stream manually

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.
Anatoli Krassavine wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>  Sorry for chipping in late, but I am surprised that
>no one mentioned the simplest and cheapest approach:
>manually get hold of HttpResponse output stream and
>write to it and then close it. Tapestry will not
>attempt to re-open the stream.

Others have also reported this, but it just didn't work for me (when I
last tried)!