Posted to dev@syncope.apache.org by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org> on 2013/03/15 11:14:50 UTC

[DISCUSS] Continuous integration

Hi all,
as you might have noticed, our Jenkins jobs [1] are quite unstable,
lately more than ever.

This is not due to actual test failures but (almost always) to the
inability of Jenkins nodes to start Tomcat via cargo within 2 minutes
(the default for cargo, 120000 msecs).
And this is in turn caused by the high load under which the ASF Jenkins
infrastructure is working; lately more than ever.

Having seen this trend, I have recently added some Syncope jobs to our
company Jenkins instance [2]; this in order to have a more reliable
reference to understand at first glance whether an ASF Jenkins failure
is actually due to test failures or not.

But this is not satisfying for different reasons:
  1. it is a private - even though publicly accessible - Jenkins
instance: for this reason, for example, it is not configured for sending
messages to dev@syncope.apache.org (as instead ASF Jenkins does)
  2. it cannot access ASF JIRA to publish test results as an issue
comment (is that true?)
  3. we don't have enough bandwidth to continuously publish Maven
artifacts to ASF snapshot repository
  4. I don't know if this is allowed by ASF policies

If there is no way out of this ASF Jenkins trouble, I'd propose then to
find some other free CI over the Internet (Cloudbees Jenkins [3] or
Travis CI [4]).

WDYT?

[1] https://builds.apache.org/view/S-Z/view/Syncope/
[2] http://jenkins.tirasa.net/
[3] http://www.cloudbees.com/jenkins-enterprise-by-cloudbees-overview.cb
[4] https://travis-ci.org/

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: [DISCUSS] Continuous integration

Posted by Massimiliano Perrone <ma...@tirasa.net>.
Il 15/03/2013 11:14, Francesco Chicchiriccò ha scritto:
> Hi all,
> as you might have noticed, our Jenkins jobs [1] are quite unstable,
> lately more than ever.
>
> This is not due to actual test failures but (almost always) to the
> inability of Jenkins nodes to start Tomcat via cargo within 2 minutes
> (the default for cargo, 120000 msecs).
> And this is in turn caused by the high load under which the ASF
> Jenkins infrastructure is working; lately more than ever.
>
> Having seen this trend, I have recently added some Syncope jobs to our
> company Jenkins instance [2]; this in order to have a more reliable
> reference to understand at first glance whether an ASF Jenkins failure
> is actually due to test failures or not.
>
> But this is not satisfying for different reasons:
>  1. it is a private - even though publicly accessible - Jenkins
> instance: for this reason, for example, it is not configured for
> sending messages to dev@syncope.apache.org (as instead ASF Jenkins does)
>  2. it cannot access ASF JIRA to publish test results as an issue
> comment (is that true?)
>  3. we don't have enough bandwidth to continuously publish Maven
> artifacts to ASF snapshot repository
>  4. I don't know if this is allowed by ASF policies
>
> If there is no way out of this ASF Jenkins trouble, I'd propose then
> to find some other free CI over the Internet (Cloudbees Jenkins [3] or
> Travis CI [4]).
>
> WDYT?
ASF policies permitting: +1

--
Massimiliano Perrone
Tel +39 393 9121310

Tirasa S.r.l.
Viale D'Annunzio 267 - 65127 Pescara
Tel +39 0859116307 / FAX +39 0859111173
http://www.tirasa.net

Apache Syncope PMC Member
http://people.apache.org/~massi/

"L'apprendere molte cose non insegna l'intelligenza"
(Eraclito)

Re: [DISCUSS] Continuous integration

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
No, not yet. Still waiting for some feedback from INFRA here:

Colm.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Continuous integration

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 17/03/2013 10:42, Andrei Shakirin wrote:
> Hi Francesco,
>
> Do you see any ways to resolve the problem through:
> a) increase default 2 minutes timeout

This is feasible but I don't know if such timeout makes sense when > 10
minutes (this is the kind of performance available of ASF Jenkins
nowadays...)

> b) optimize cargo Syncope startup (not sure is it really possible)

Don't have idea of what to do in this respect...

Regards.

Posted by Andrei Shakirin <as...@talend.com>.
Hi Francesco,

Do you see any ways to resolve the problem through:
a) increase default 2 minutes timeout
b) optimize cargo Syncope startup (not sure is it really possible)

?

Cheers,
Andrei.