Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Stefan <ha...@eberhardstuerz.de> on 2007/10/21 16:00:20 UTC

MyFaces for production? Not even conformance with HTML 4.01?

Hello,

I am evaluating JSF as an option for our next web project. I did some
basic evaluation with Suns implementation. It works fine and was easy to
get started. We would like to use more elaborated components and I took
a quick look at MyFaces and Tomahawk. Unfortunately not with the same
success and hopefully all my "beginners fault". First of all, I did
still not manage to run MyFaces 1.2 successfully. Even in a most basic
"hello user" example, I get a lot of complains about value expressions,
which are not permitted as attribute values (Java 6, Tomcat 6. Could
this be the problem?). Next I looked at the latest Tomahawk examples.
They use MyFaces 1.1 but the resulting HTML is full of errors and
warnings. Even with my most basic "hello user" example (only one button
and one input field), I get complains about invalid name and id
attributes. The values start with underscores, which is not allowed in
HTML4.

So I wonder if it makes sense to continue with the MyFaces
Implementation. Did I miss something? Don't You think, Spec and HTML4
conformance is important? Do You know other implementations, which are
adhere to the Specs? I appreciate any hint or comment.

Thank You all
Stefan

Re: MyFaces for production? Not even conformance with HTML 4.01?

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stefan,

if you want to use 1.2, you should currently use 1.2.1-SNAPSHOT. There
are several major bugs in 1.2 which have been fixed in the meantime.
The problem with the value-expressions I cannot reproduce - are you
talking about Tomahawk there?

@warnings in the produced HTML: I can't follow you there - both the RI
and MyFaces produce ids of the form "_id42", so I don't see how this
would be different between the implementations?

regards,

Martin

--

http://www.irian.at