Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com> on 2015/02/12 09:42:12 UTC

How to track issues that must wait for Spark 2.x in JIRA?

Patrick and I were chatting about how to handle several issues which
clearly need a fix, and are easy, but can't be implemented until a
next major release like Spark 2.x since it would change APIs.
Examples:

We could simply make version 2.0.0 in JIRA. Although straightforward,
it might imply that release planning has begun for 2.0.0.

The version could be called "2+" for now to better indicate its status.

There is also a "Later" JIRA resolution. Although resolving the above
seems a little wrong, it might be reasonable if we're sure to revisit
"Later", well, at some well defined later. The three issues above risk
getting lost in the shuffle.

We also wondered whether using "Later" is good or bad. It takes items
off the radar that aren't going to be acted on anytime soon -- and
there are lots of those right now. It might send a message that these
will be revisited when they are even less likely to if resolved.

Any opinions?

Re: How to track issues that must wait for Spark 2.x in JIRA?

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
Let me start with a version "2+" tag and at least write in the
description that it's only for issues that are clearly to be fixed,
but must wait until 2.x.

>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-3369

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.