Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Niklaus Giger <ng...@mus.ch> on 2002/10/04 20:01:02 UTC

Problem running log

Hi

Thank you very much working so hard to deliver a real compelling reason to
switch to real good replacement for CVS (or at work for Visual SourceSafe).

If you want to know why I want to switch from Windows and VisualSourceSafe,
just take a look at the attached picture :-)
(We are not running the most recent version of VSS neither.)

I just adventured to test drive subversion for some "real" work at home. I
just created a repository starting with a project consisting of about 1000
files (40 MB). The repository is on my HD and accessed via a file-URL.

Then I started to move a few directories to some other places, removing
some .exe and *.o files and got into the following errors:
D         1_5_x/obj/vx_rom_pit.sym
D         bsp/1_1_x/cat.exe
<...>
niklaus@K6Linux.localdomain:/data/nm/make$ svn remove 1_5_x/obj
svn: Attempting restricted operation for modified resource
svn: Use --force to override this restriction
svn: '1_5_x/obj/vxWorks_pit.dbg' has local modifications
niklaus@K6Linux.localdomain:/data/nm/make$ svn move 1_5_x/ bsp
svn: Attempted to lock an already-locked dir
svn: working copy locked: bsp
niklaus@K6Linux.localdomain:/data/nm/make$ svn remove bsp/1_1_x/*.exe
D         bsp/1_1_x/bash.exen
niklaus@K6Linux.localdomain:/data/nm/make$ svn commit
Deleting       1_1_x/1_1_8
Deleting       1_5_x/obj/bootConfig.o
<...>
Adding         make
svn: A problem occured; see later errors for details
svn: Commit succeeded, but other errors follow:
svn: Problem running log
svn: Error bumping revisions post-commit (details follow):
svn: in directory /mnt/reiser/nm/make/bsp/1_1_x
svn: start_handler: error processing command 'committed' in
/mnt/reiser/nm/make/bsp/1_1_x
svn: log command for dir 'bash.exe' is mislocated

Trying svn cleanup or db_recover didn't help neither. I tried to look via
google whether this error is known to somebody but did not find the same
problem. I have a longer long of almost everything I did.

Any hints would be appreciated. (And please CC to me as I am not subscribed to
this list)

Regards

--
Niklaus Giger
Wieshoschet 6

Re: Problem running log

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Niklaus Giger <ng...@mus.ch> writes:

> On Samstag, 5. Oktober 2002 12.02, Philip Martin wrote:
> > Niklaus Giger <ng...@mus.ch> writes:
> >
> > Is this the complete sequence of commands that you ran?
> See attached svn.log.gz

The problematic sequence is

svn mv foo bar
svn rm bar/baz
svn commit

i.e. deleting an item in a moved directory.  I've raised issue 918.

--
Philip Martin

Re: Problem running log: resolved: run db_recover on repos/db

Posted by Niklaus Giger <ng...@mus.ch>.
Hi,

Thank you everybody for helping me out.  Browsing the mail archive and digging
into "Another weird error message" found the solution.

I am also part of the stupid minority (or are we the silent majority?) who did
ran db_recover on /path/to/repos instead of /path/to/repos/db. Yes I know I
have read the manual carefully.

Also db_recover (at least on my Debian system) is available in several
versions like db_recover db3_recover and db4.0_recover.

Could you consider to apply the attached patch (or something similar)?

BTW, as it seems to be quite normal, that one has to recurr to this solution,
wouldn't it be a good idea (maybe post 1.0?) to integrate the call db_recover
into the svnadmin tool, e.g. by defining
svnadmin recover [URL]

Having solved this problem, I will continue to use Subversion and hope that it
will get mature soon. I would really like to push my collegues into a good
alternative to the Microsoft VisualSourceSafe.

Againg, thanks to everybody.

Best regards
--
Niklaus Giger
Wieshoschet 6

Re: Problem running log

Posted by Niklaus Giger <ng...@mus.ch>.
On Samstag, 5. Oktober 2002 12.02, Philip Martin wrote:
> Niklaus Giger <ng...@mus.ch> writes:
>
> Is this the complete sequence of commands that you ran?
See attached svn.log.gz
> > Then I started to move a few directories to some other places, removing
> > some .exe and *.o files and got into the following errors:
> > D         1_5_x/obj/vx_rom_pit.sym
> > D         bsp/1_1_x/cat.exe
> > <...>
> > niklaus@K6Linux.localdomain:/data/nm/make$ svn remove 1_5_x/obj
> > svn: Attempting restricted operation for modified resource
> > svn: Use --force to override this restriction
> > svn: '1_5_x/obj/vxWorks_pit.dbg' has local modifications
>
> That's expected if you are trying to delete local modifications, did
> you have any?  Did you try 'svn remove --force 1_5_x/obj'?
No. Here is the output:
$ svn remove --force 1_5_x/obj
D         1_5_x/obj
> > niklaus@K6Linux.localdomain:/data/nm/make$ svn move 1_5_x/ bsp
> > svn: Attempted to lock an already-locked dir
> > svn: working copy locked: bsp
>
> That's expected if you try to modify a locked directory.  Did 'svn
> status 1_5_x/' show a locked directory?  Was that a result of the
> failed remove command above?  If so are you using an old version of
> Subversion, 0.14.1 say, or one before rev3026?
Sorry, for not mentioning. Here the output of svn --version
Subversion Client, version 0.14.3 (dev build)
   compiled Sep 30 2002, 09:47:59

Copyright (C) 2000-2002 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV) protocol.
  - handles 'http' schema
  - handles 'https' schema
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' schema
> > niklaus@K6Linux.localdomain:/data/nm/make$ svn remove bsp/1_1_x/*.exe
> > D         bsp/1_1_x/bash.exen
>
> Is 'bash.exen' a typo for 'bash.exe'?
Yes.
> > niklaus@K6Linux.localdomain:/data/nm/make$ svn commit
> > Deleting       1_1_x/1_1_8
> > Deleting       1_5_x/obj/bootConfig.o
> > <...>
>
> What did it report for bsp/1_1_x/?
See svn.log.gz
> > Adding         make
> > svn: A problem occured; see later errors for details
> > svn: Commit succeeded, but other errors follow:
> > svn: Problem running log
> > svn: Error bumping revisions post-commit (details follow):
> > svn: in directory /mnt/reiser/nm/make/bsp/1_1_x
> > svn: start_handler: error processing command 'committed' in
> > /mnt/reiser/nm/make/bsp/1_1_x
> > svn: log command for dir 'bash.exe' is mislocated
>
> What does 'svn status' on bsp/1_1_x show?  Is there a log file
> bsp/1_1_x/.svn/log?  What does it contain?
(This command is run after db4.0_recover. See below)
svn status bsp/1_1_x/
_ L    bsp/1_1_x
!      bsp/1_1_x/bash.exe

> > Trying svn cleanup or db_recover didn't help neither.
>
> You run db_recover on the repository db directory to do Berkeley DB4
> recovery, it should not be necessary given the above commands.  You
> run 'svn cleanup' on the working copy to run log files and remove
> locks, but if the log file is junk then the working copy is broken.
Sorry, I had not installed the debian packages libdb4.0-util. And the recover
command is called db4.0_recover and not db_recover.
Here are the results of running it:
$ db4.0_recover -ve -h /data/svn2
db_recover: Recovery complete at Sat Oct  5 14:00:36 2002
db_recover: Maximum transaction id 80000000 Recovery checkpoint [0][0]
niklaus@K6Linux.localdomain:~$

As I had no real data in it. I created a new repository and also read a little
bit more about the dangers of dircetories in the subversion handbook.

If I have some time this week. I will try to make a short testcase of my
problem, as I think subversion could profit of being more robust in case of
dummy users like me.

Thank you ver much for your help.

Regards

Niklaus Giger