Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by PerformanceHosting <sa...@performancehosting.net> on 2003/05/05 22:38:06 UTC

Tomcat & Memory handling...

Hello. I've been using Tomcat now for quite some time. I've upgraded to
4.1.24, and I've noticed that when it loads each virtual host's context it
in a sense "reserves" memory for each one. This, in turn, decreases the
overall RAM on my server.

The problem is that it seems to "lock" the memory into each virtual host and
doesn't allow it to "swap" with other virtual hosts configured in the
server.xml file.

is there a way to get Tomcat to "share" or "swap" memory it reserves for
each virtual host instead of "reserving" it? This problem culminates in an
`out of memory` error and Tomcat hangs up.

Does anyone out there have a shared hosting environment with similar issues?
How do you resolve this? is the only way to resolve this to add more RAM?

Thanks