Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Michael Dick <mi...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/03 00:16:07 UTC

0.9.8 release

Earlier today I created the 0.9.8 release in JIRA, and moved most of the
open issues from 0.9.7 to 0.9.8.

There's one open issue against 0.9.7 - OpenJPA-179 and I'll submit a fix for
that later tonight (or move it to 0.9.8). Marc just committed the fix for
OpenJPA-196, if there are any other issues that we need to include please
move them back to 0.9.7.

Besides the issues mentioned above I think we'll need to add a change log,
building.txt (for the source archive) and a release notes file (I thought we
had one, but I didn't see it - maybe I'm blind). I'll take a crack at those
tonight as well.

Assuming there aren't any other major issues, I'll go ahead and create the
tags etc. tomorrow.

-Michael Dick

Re: 0.9.8 release

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Mike,

On Apr 2, 2007, at 3:16 PM, Michael Dick wrote:

> Earlier today I created the 0.9.8 release in JIRA, and moved most
> of the
> open issues from 0.9.7 to 0.9.8.
>
> There's one open issue against 0.9.7 - OpenJPA-179 and I'll submit
> a fix for
> that later tonight (or move it to 0.9.8). Marc just committed the
> fix for
> OpenJPA-196, if there are any other issues that we need to include
> please
> move them back to 0.9.7.
>
> Besides the issues mentioned above I think we'll need to add a
> change log,
> building.txt (for the source archive) and a release notes file (I
> thought we
> had one, but I didn't see it - maybe I'm blind). I'll take a crack
> at those
> tonight as well.

You should be able to get JIRA to create the skeleton of the release
notes file. I'm not in front of it right now, but select the 0.9.7
release notes and it should give you a page that you can copy/paste
into a file.

Craig

> Assuming there aren't any other major issues, I'll go ahead and
> create the
> tags etc. tomorrow.

> -Michael Dick

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: 0.9.8 release

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 4/3/07, Michael Dick <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All too easy, thank you both!
>
>  I just added the files. Release-notes and Changes came mostly from JIRA.

release notes are surprisingly important for open source projects.
downloads are often the first point of contact for potential users,
developers and downstream repackagers.  good release are a form of
geurilla advertising and conveying as good first impress of the
project.

IMHO it's better to think of the release notes in the broad: as
content which can and should be repeated in several different forms in
different locations. a release should be announced on the appropriate
mailing lists. downloaders are more likely the same content used for
the release notes . these notes also form the history of the project
and it's a good idea to record them permentantly on the website (this
is also useful for search engine indexes) with the date. the same
content can and should be used as a basis for all these notes.

i'd recommend starting with a sentence describing the nature of the
release ("foo-1.2.3 is a bug fix release" or "foo-1.3.0 is a feature
release"). then briefly outline compatibility ("This release is
backwards compatible with foo-1.2.0.") then platform requirements
("Foo require Java 1.4.2 or higher").

the release notes should contain a paragraph introducing the project
and available resources (wesite, mailing lists and so). a sentence
encouraging people to get involved is also a good idea.

if the release is not backwards compatible with the last release, then
include a list of changes which those using earlier library need to
make. (use a tool to generate the base output.)

release notes don't need to be worked up every time from scratch: a
lot of this additional content will not change.

- robert

Re: 0.9.8 release

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@gmail.com>.
All too easy, thank you both!

 I just added the files. Release-notes and Changes came mostly from JIRA.
Building.txt was stolen from the building OpenJPA page (credit there should
go to Marc).

Re: 0.9.8 release

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.