Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by "mrisaliti@libero.it" <mr...@libero.it> on 2008/05/19 10:11:28 UTC

About issue: Clean up labels between order and ecommerce application (OFBIZ-1780)

Hi to all,

I put the attention on this issue at OFBiz community level to take a decision on how we can proceed on it.

Before I start to clean the labels between Order and Ecommerce application there was a lot of confusion done in the past after the conversion from property languages files to xml files.

I spent one week to work on it and it was not my intention to create issues to anyone.

I have simply merges the languages strings in the higher priority file (EcommerceXXX) and deletes the entry from the lower priority file (OrderXXX).
So when I have found double definition for me the good one was in the EcommerceUiLabels.xml  but as you can imagine I cannot understand all the languages I cannot see those differences.

So seems that merging by keys is not valid for all the languages and it can cause lost of correct translations.

Another important things I have done I have checked every single labels scanning the sources and move from Ecommerce to Order xml file if the labels was shared and in this case I have also renamed the label from EcommerceXXX to OrderXXX and all the references to those labels.

I have seen that for Italian language seems to me better than previously but probably not for French language.

This cleaning task is not still completed because now there are some OrderXXX labels duplicated into both files and we have to decide which has the correct traslations in case of duplication.
Seems to me that OrderUiLabels.xml file is the correct one and EcommerceUiLabels.xml files is the wrong one for OrderXXX labels but I didn't know if we have some exception for fr and th languages.

So I would like to know from the community if it's the right direction (and continue the cleaning of labels) or I have to revert back everything because I do not want to do something by myself not accepted by OFBiz community.

Thanks
Marco

Re: About issue: Clean up labels between order and ecommerce application (OFBIZ-1780)

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I can't agree more. However this creative way of using labels is interesting. Else we will have to create a new way for transversal
reuse of forms if labels have to be changed...

I thought we should keep this discussion in dev ML, but maybe it's better to let a chance to everybody to be aware...

Jacques

From: "David E Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On May 19, 2008, at 1:55 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> David E Jones wrote:
>> On May 19, 2008, at 12:51 PM, Marco Risaliti wrote:
>>> I agree with David, also I didn't like to overriding the labels
>>> between applications.
>>>
>>> To be me clear I like to give a simple example that I didn't like:
>>> in AccountingUiLabels.xml the label
>>> AccountingFixedAssetMaintIntervalQuantity has the meaning
>>> "Interval Quantity"
>>> in AssetMaintUiLabel.xml the same label
>>> AccountingFixedAssetMaintIntervalQuantity has the meaning "Meter
>>> Reading"
>>>
>>> I prefer that in this case it was :
>>>
>>> AccountingFixedAssetMaintIntervalQuantity --> "Interval Quantity"
>>> AssetMaintFixedAssetMaintIntervalQuantity --> "Meter Reading"
>> Or perhaps "AssetMaintFixedAssetMaintMeterReading" as they do mean
>> different things (BTW, not sure if "Meter Reading" is the best term
>> for whatever this is applied to, but I guess that's irrelevant for
>> the discussion...).
>> -David
>
> Then we're back to the problem of reusing the accounting screens.
> The UI label used in the accounting screen is
> AccountingFixedAssetMaintIntervalQuantity. So creating a new label
> in asset maint will require creating a new screen.

It's an interesting conundrum... it is probably more work to create a
screen just for this than it is worth...

-David

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
David E Jones wrote:

> On May 19, 2008, at 12:51 PM, Marco Risaliti wrote:
>
>> I agree with David, also I didn't like to overriding the labels
>> between applications.
>>
>> To be me clear I like to give a simple example that I didn't like:
>> in AccountingUiLabels.xml the label
>> AccountingFixedAssetMaintIntervalQuantity has the meaning "Interval
>> Quantity"
>> in AssetMaintUiLabel.xml the same label
>> AccountingFixedAssetMaintIntervalQuantity has the meaning "Meter Reading"
>>
>> I prefer that in this case it was :
>>
>> AccountingFixedAssetMaintIntervalQuantity --> "Interval Quantity"
>> AssetMaintFixedAssetMaintIntervalQuantity --> "Meter Reading"
>
> Or perhaps "AssetMaintFixedAssetMaintMeterReading" as they do mean
> different things (BTW, not sure if "Meter Reading" is the best term for
> whatever this is applied to, but I guess that's irrelevant for the
> discussion...).
>
> -David

Then we're back to the problem of reusing the accounting screens. The UI
label used in the accounting screen is
AccountingFixedAssetMaintIntervalQuantity. So creating a new label in
asset maint will require creating a new screen.

I planned on working on the asset maint screens after I'm done with my
framework stuff. Some of the forms were C&P from accounting to asset
maint instead of using the extend feature - maybe because extend had a
bug in it (which has been fixed). I'll try to remove the UI label
redefinitions in the process.

-Adrian

Re: About issue: Clean up labels between order and ecommerce application (OFBIZ-1780)

Posted by "risalitim@gmail.com" <ri...@gmail.com>.
Yes, exactly probably "AssetMaintFixedAssetMaintMeterReading" is more
readable and appropriate.

Another different example can be the following label:

AccountingFixedAssetIdents --> Identifications

on AccountingUiLabels.xml and AssetMaintUiLabels.xml

in my opinion in this case I will delete it from
AssetMaintUiLabels.xml and use it from the first one (reusing of
labels between different applications).

Also because in the main-decorator of assetmaint application there was
already the following actions:

<property-map resource="AssetMaintUiLabels" map-name="uiLabelMap"
global="true"/>
<property-map resource="AccountingUiLabels" map-name="uiLabelMap"
global="true"/>
<property-map resource="PartyUiLabels" map-name="uiLabelMap"
global="true"/>
<property-map resource="ProductUiLabels" map-name="uiLabelMap"
global="true"/>
<property-map resource="WorkEffortUiLabels" map-name="uiLabelMap"
global="true"/>
<property-map resource="CommonUiLabels" map-name="uiLabelMap"
global="true"/>

So as you can see there are a lot of confusion and seems to me that
the cleaning of labels is something that we cannot skip or we cannot
consider it.

Marco

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Marco Risaliti <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
David,

I agree with you. I'm not the original author of that code, so I don't
know what the original intent was. My reply was based on some of the
work I've done updating the Asset Maintenance component.

-Adrian

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks for the explanation Adrian,

Yes, this seems a simple way of doing it

Jacques

From: "Adrian Crum" <ad...@hlmksw.com>

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
Adrian,

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Bruno Busco" <br...@gmail.com>
>I think that in order to keep things simple and maintaneable we should avoid
> that a label is overwritten in two different UiLabels files to have a
> different and more specific text.
> If we do like this it will be an easy job to automatically check for label
> duplication.

+1000, I totally agree : simple is beautiful. We don't need complexity at this level. Or someone has to explain me why...

> Otherwise it will happen that someone could override the label in his own
> language having all other languages remaining untouched and so looking as a
> full duplication.

Yup !

> Whenever a slightly different label (or a more detailed one) is needed, a
> different label must be defined.

+1

> Even the Python script contained in
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-1698 does not check that a
> duplicated label is exactly the same in all its language texts; it simply
> assumes that is a duplicated label and just tryes to collect all available
> language strings before removing the duplication.

Yes, it would be difficult and error prone to create a script for that. We just need to skim and make the remaining by hand. I
should do it this week (I really want to get rid of all that, it's a real mess)

Jacques

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>