Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2016/01/11 00:40:53 UTC

RE: [IPMC Projects] may be in need of^w^w^w^w^ware looking for help!

On Jan 9, 2016 14:58, "Ross Gardler" <Ro...@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Everyone should read the subject and reset.

+1 - the original subject line corresponds to that projects interested in
new activity.

3-5 times a week a student or IT hobbiest or professional developer or
website designer pings dev@community.a.o asking 'I would like to
contribute, where do I start?'  These are of the 30-500 who looked at
apache.org pages with the same question.  The stock answer is always
'choose a project that interests you, and dive right in'.

Is there a way to reframe this discussion as a collaboration of incubating
projects to create a landing page, perhaps with a query-by- programming
languages/skills/components needed that includes the terse project and
audience summaries for incubating efforts?  Somewhere dev@community can
direct newcomers to help find their 'fit' or area of interest in the
foundation?

TLPs have it sort-of-easy, most are well known names to their audiences.
Incubation efforts are less so, recently renamed and just assembling all
the pieces with the expected gaps throughout.

Who would be interested in such an effort?  Wondering if the Whimsy PMC
might be the platform to build such an ASF 'projects' search board?

RE: [IPMC Projects] may be in need of^w^w^w^w^ware looking for help!

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
Sure thing, now I'm on a real email here's the link on how to make folks aware of willingeness to help new community members...

http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html

Ross

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.