Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Nitin Shah <ns...@btisystems.com> on 2014/12/03 19:25:20 UTC

Qpid question On High Priority messages

Hi,

Is there a way in qpid to send  message at the highest priority such that it can overtake current messages in transit. Perhaps there is a way to define a high priority queue? We do not want to have a high bandwidth for it, but messages should be able to take the highest priority.

Thanks for your help
Nitin

RE: Qpid question On High Priority messages

Posted by Nitin Shah <ns...@btisystems.com>.
Thank you. Will keep that in mind.

Nitin

On 12/03/2014 06:25 PM, Nitin Shah wrote:
> Is there a way in qpid to send  message at the highest priority such
> that it can overtake current messages in transit. Perhaps there is a
> way to define a high priority queue? We do not want to have a high
> bandwidth for it, but messages should be able to take the highest priority.

I believe both c++ and java brokers support priority queues. For the c++ broker, the qpid.priorities setting is used to enable that. The value specified is the number of distinct priority levels (up to 10) that are recognised.

In qpid::messaging you have the Message::setPriority() method with which to set the priority. Other APIs have something very similar.

Priority queues will deliver higher priority messages first.

(Note: this sort of question would really be better on the users list, as that has a wider audience)

Re: Qpid question On High Priority messages

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.