Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chris Fox <cs...@extra.net> on 2000/12/04 00:17:59 UTC

JDBCRealm problems 3.2

I am uable to get a successfull login using basic authentication for
jdbc realm.
this was working for me in the tomcat 3.2 beta 6 for me but not in the
final release.

the output log for the ContextManager says the authentication is okay
but
the browser shows authorization failed

the only way to get it to work is to add the user to the
tomcat-users.xml file
and then it works fine (even if the password int the tomcat-users.xml
file is bogus)

this is an unaccepatble solution as I want to add authentication for
many users
and not have to restart tomcat every time

I am seeing this problem on two different boxes
one running linux and one running solaris

I am stuck as how to fix this problem.

has anyone seen this or got it working?

Chris

Re: JDBCRealm problems 3.2

Posted by Chris Fox <cs...@extra.net>.
You are correct sir!
I had not commented that out.
as soon as i did everything worked.

In the past though I never commented it out either and it was working
so i did not think about that as being the problem

thanks again

chris

--
http://www.trudat.com

Re: JDBCRealm problems 3.2

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Chris Fox wrote:

> I am uable to get a successfull login using basic authentication for
> jdbc realm.
> this was working for me in the tomcat 3.2 beta 6 for me but not in the
> final release.
>
> the output log for the ContextManager says the authentication is okay
> but
> the browser shows authorization failed
>
> the only way to get it to work is to add the user to the
> tomcat-users.xml file
> and then it works fine (even if the password int the tomcat-users.xml
> file is bogus)
>
> this is an unaccepatble solution as I want to add authentication for
> many users
> and not have to restart tomcat every time
>
> I am seeing this problem on two different boxes
> one running linux and one running solaris
>
> I am stuck as how to fix this problem.
>
> has anyone seen this or got it working?

DId you comment out (or remove) the entry for the SimpleRealm interceptor when
you uncommented the entry for the JDBCRealm?  I ask this because SimpleRealm is
the only code in all of Tomcat that cares about the tomcat-users.xml file.

> Chris

Craig McClanahan