Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/22 18:25:21 UTC

Gateway id in airavata request

Hi All,

We need to send gateway name together with user name for
authentication at Airavata service level. We are thinking of using
following syntax for this,

username@gatwayId

So "@" will be a separator for gateway id and user name. In addition
we do authentication based on the gateway id. I am planning to
incorporate this change to existing security implementation. If you
have any objections/feedback please let us know.

Thanks
Amila

Re: Gateway id in airavata request

Posted by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

After having a chat on last Monday we came to following conclusions.

We will have a default gateway - This is going to be the bootstrap
gateway. If users want to just try out Airavata without managing their
own
user store, they can use the default gateway. The default gateway will
come with an internal user store.
If clients need to manage their own users, they have to first register
themselves with the hosted Airavata service.
During registration they will share a common secret. Airavata will use
this common secret for authentication. User level
authentication and authorization must be implemented at portal level.
We also assume that there will be a portal for each gateway.

We also wanted to send the gateway id with the request. The approach
we are thinking is to have the gateway id as a separate
field in the request. This field will be a http header and its name is
"gateway". The client has to
populate this field in the request. If the request does not contain a
gateway id, we will direct the request
to default gateway. Further we will have DNS like format for the
gateway id. But for the default gateway we will use
string "default".

After introducing above change all server components must get the user
name and gateway from the context.
There shouldn't be any API methods with arguments username or gateway
name. We are yet to introduce gateway id to
the request context (I will do it today). But you can get the
authenticated user name from
org.apache.airavata.common.context.WorkflowContext.getRequestUser().
We will have a similar method to get the gateway id.
This will only work if the calling code is in the same thread as the
request. In a spawned thread you will not be able to call context
methods.

Sorry about the delay in sending notes.

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
Amila

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi Lahiru,

Posted by Lahiru Gunathilake <gl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Amila,

--
System Analyst Programmer
PTI Lab

Re: Gateway id in airavata request

Posted by Saminda Wijeratne <sa...@gmail.com>.
<th...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I encountered few more questions while incorporating gateway id to
> incoming request.
>
> 1. Currently our data model have the concept of gateway id but we dont
> have a process to register gateways. So how should we proceed
> implementing gateway registration ?
>
> Some options are;
> a. Provide a web interface within Airavata webapp to do the registration
> b. Provide an API method to do the registration (As Saminda suggested)

Right now we are not exposing the notion of a gateway to the user through
XBaya. We recently introduced passing the gateway id when initiating an
Airavata API object. Therefore I think its ok to allow API functionality to
manage gateways at first before updating client applications since they
anyway does not need to be aware of it yet.

> 2. Multiple gateways are needed if we are hosting a multi-tenanted
> (sort of) system. Still there are lot of use cases which needs a
> "stand a lone" Airavata instances. So is it ok to have a gateway
> called "defaultGateway" ? Default gateway will come with the
> distribution and will be there in all Airavata installations. Local
> user store will be associated with the "defaultGateway".

yes... Right now it is called "default".

> 3. In the previous mail we discussed about having DNS like names for
> gateways. So what is the preferred DNS like name for default gateway ?
> (If we decided to have default gateway).

But I like the format of the gateway id suggested in an earlier mail by
Amila such as "some-gateway-id.some-domain.some-tld". Infact this can be
any string (which avoids special characters).  However whether any format
would look nice on "username@gateway-id" format is questionable.

> 4. Still we do not have the notion of roles in Airavata. Therefore to
> manage local user store i am using a special user name called "admin".
> He has privileges to add/delete users from local user store. With the
> gateway concept we might need to introduce a "admin" sort of a user
> per each gateway. This will be more clean if we can introduce couple
> of roles at this point. At least admin role and non-admin role.

Yep... definitely +1... I think this itself deserves a separate mail thread.

Saminda

Posted by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi Suresh,

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi Suresh,

I do prefer gateway DNS name formats such as "gateway.airavata.org"
(Due to its simplicity compared to entity ids). But in either case

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.