Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sean LeBlanc <se...@nutros.com> on 2002/03/18 21:34:40 UTC

Running one or more concurrent websites?

Okay, here's a question that I've been meaning to ask for a while. Is there
a way to (at random),
at the start of a user's "session", send them to one or more alternate sites
hosted on the same webserver? Let's say that 20% of the time I want to send
users to
one version of my application, and 80% of the time, they go to the other
version...and they
stay on the chosen version until they close their browser. Is there a way
that Apache
could do this?

TIA,
Sean - sean@nutros.com

RE: Running one or more concurrent websites?

Posted by Sean LeBlanc <se...@nutros.com>.

While there is a possibility the filenames *could* be the same, and the tree
will be the same,
the content of said files will definitely be different. The reason I want
this is
to be able to run a one-off version of a site, in parallel with current
production
one, and see how users respond - but I don't want all users to be using new
site in
case there are problems (not bugs per se, but usability problems). I'm
pretty sure
there is hardware that would accomplish pretty much the same thing, but the
load is
so minor that would be overkill at this point.

Thanks,
Sean LeBlanc

Posted by John Darin Holloway <jd...@blue.net>.
>From your description, it looks like there will not be a difference in the
content of the two document trees, am I correct in this assumption?  If I
am, the question of why comes to mind?  If its a disk performance issue,

Posted by Sean LeBlanc <se...@nutros.com>.

Posted by John Darin Holloway <jd...@blue.net>.
Sounds interesting, but probably should be done in the context of a web
application, lets take a weblog style example.

You randomly hand out moderator access to a user once every day on your site
www.myweblog.com, then the perl/servlet/jsp/asp that handles features should
have a flag that gets tripped when Bob is chosen to be a moderator, Bob gets
redirected to admin.myweblog.com and the backend should authenticate him.
The next day Alice has the flag set and she gets redirected to admin and so
on.

That being said, it probably can be done.

John Darin Holloway
Bluegrass Network, LLC