Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by zliu1 <zl...@nd.edu> on 2002/04/12 23:23:31 UTC

Proxy server in Apache

mod_proxy is used to set as forwarding proxy server. IE user works fine.
However, for Netscape browser user, if using "Automatic proxy
configuration" and put the proxy server in the field of "Configuration
location (URL)", Netscape browser will show error:

   "The proxy automatic configuration file is not of the correct type:

           http://proxy_server_host_name

    Expected the MIME type of application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig.
    No proxies will be used."

I did put application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig into mime.type file.

What should I do?

Thank you,
Zuwei
Zuwei Liu                                Email: zuwei.liu.21@nd.edu
Sr System Engineer, Operations & Engineering
Office of Information Technologies       Phone: (219)631-8590
IT Center (formerly CCMB) Rm 303	 Fax:   (219)631-9283
University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN 46556

Re: Proxy server in Apache - pac

Posted by zliu1 <zl...@nd.edu>.

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Irmund Thum wrote:

> zliu1 wrote:
>
> > mod_proxy is used to set as forwarding proxy server. IE user works fine.
> > However, for Netscape browser user, if using "Automatic proxy
> > configuration" and put the proxy server in the field of "Configuration
> > location (URL)", Netscape browser will show error:
> >
> >    "The proxy automatic configuration file is not of the correct type:
> >
> >            http://proxy_server_host_name
> >
> >     Expected the MIME type of application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig.
> >     No proxies will be used."
> >
> > I did put application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig into mime.type file.
> >
> > What should I do?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Zuwei
>
> did you create on the server a PAC (proxy automatic configuration file) -
> and in which directory? Have you ever seen a PAC file (javascript) ?
> Why don't you simply set manually for the clients the ip-address and port?

Originally, we used Netscape Proxy Server 3.52. Now I put its proxy.pac
file as Apache proxy server home page. It works fine. Do you know where I
can find documantation about PAC file?

Thank you very much,
Zuwei

Posted by Irmund Thum <it...@it97.dyn.dhs.org>.
zliu1 wrote:

> mod_proxy is used to set as forwarding proxy server. IE user works fine.
> However, for Netscape browser user, if using "Automatic proxy
> configuration" and put the proxy server in the field of "Configuration
> location (URL)", Netscape browser will show error:
>
>    "The proxy automatic configuration file is not of the correct type:
>
>            http://proxy_server_host_name
>
>     Expected the MIME type of application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig.
>     No proxies will be used."
>
> I did put application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig into mime.type file.
>
> What should I do?
>
> Thank you,
> Zuwei

did you create on the server a PAC (proxy automatic configuration file) -
and in which directory? Have you ever seen a PAC file (javascript) ?
Why don't you simply set manually for the clients the ip-address and port?

--
_ ___
|  |  Irmund    Thum
|  |