Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Simon Cooper <th...@runbox.com> on 2005/05/16 09:50:07 UTC

intro & questions

Hi, im a fairly new programmer (computer science student at Cambridge UK) and am looking to get started on oss/java project and thought this would be a nice place to start. I'll be mainly hanging around in the background, maybe doing a few of the class libraries, docs, etc.

questions -
How 'integrated' will this be with Classpath? How many of the class libraries will be Harmonys, or are we going to use all the Classpath libraries and none of our own?
Don't other non-company jvm's exist (blackdown?), or is this the only oss one?
How important will efficiency/speed be in the jvm? Java is naturally a so-so language for efficiency, will that be a major goal to improve?

Re: intro & questions

Posted by FaeLLe <mr...@gmail.com>.
On 5/16/05, Simon Cooper <th...@runbox.com> wrote:

> Hi, im a fairly new programmer (computer science student at Cambridge UK)
> and am looking to get started on oss/java project and thought this would be
> a nice place to start. I'll be mainly hanging around in the background,
> maybe doing a few of the class libraries, docs, etc.
>
> questions -
> How 'integrated' will this be with Classpath? How many of the class
> libraries will be Harmonys, or are we going to use all the Classpath
> libraries and none of our own?

Details are still being worked out...

Don't other non-company jvm's exist (blackdown?), or is this the only oss
> one?

There are others but all are scattered around this is a *harmonizing* effort
to bring the community together

How important will efficiency/speed be in the jvm? Java is naturally a so-so
> language for efficiency, will that be a major goal to improve?

That will be one of them ;)

--
www.FaeLLe.com <http://www.FaeLLe.com>