Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Hamilton <Da...@topographic.com> on 2000/10/13 00:08:17 UTC

Cannot Get Tomcat NT Service Working

Hi,

I can get Tomcat to run as advertised in the Tomcat IIS How To.  I can also
get IIS to serve up the example servlets.  Now I'd like to get the Tomcat NT
service to work, but I have run into a problem.   Could someone just give me
and idea of where I went wrong?

I followed instructions on the Tomcat NT Service How To three different
times with these results:  when I try to start the Tomcat service from the
NT control panel, I receive an Error 2140: an internal Windows NT error
occurred. Looking this up on Microsoft's knowledge base reveals that the
service was trying to pass parameters to NT and NT doesn't like this action.

I also tried to run the service by using the net start command and I get an
error 3534.  The help file on this error states that the service tried to
start, but there was an unknown error.

Here is what I am using:

1. Windows NT 4.0 Server with Service Pack 5 and IIS 4.0

2. Sun's JDK 1.2.2.006 (I even got rid of Microsoft's Java VM, support files
and registry entries in case that was interfering...that didn't help)

3. Tomcat 3.1 production release (not a beta).

4.  Set the server environment variables TOMCAT_HOME=c:\tomcat and
JAVA_HOME=c:\jdk1.2.2

5.  Checked the location of these files/directories then modified the
wrapper.properties file with these important parts:
wrapper.tomcat_home=c:\tomcat
wrapper.java_home= c:\jdk1.2.2
wrapper.stdout=$(wrapper.tomcat_home)\jvm.stdout
wrapper.stderr=$(wrapper.tomcat_home)\jvm.stderr
#wrapper.class_path=$(wrapper.tomcat_home)\classes (Couldn't find this
reference...I'm new to Java...should I take off the # sign and use this line
anyway?)
wrapper.class_path=$(wrapper.tomcat_home)\lib\xml.jar
wrapper.class_path=$(wrapper.tomcat_home)\lib\webserver.jar
wrapper.class_path=$(wrapper.tomcat_home)\lib\servlet.jar
wrapper.class_path=$(wrapper.tomcat_home)\lib\jasper.jar
wrapper.class_path=$(wrapper.java_home)\lib\tools.jar
wrapper.javabin=$(wrapper.java_home)\bin\java.exe
wrapper.startup_class=org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat
wrapper.server_xml=$(wrapper.tomcat_home)\conf\server.xml
wrapper.shutdown_port=8007
wrapper.shutdown_protocol=ajp12
wrapper.cmd_line=$(wrapper.javabin) -classpath $(wrapper.class_path)
$(wrapper.startup_class) -config $(wrapper.server_xml) -home
$(wrapper.tomcat_home)

6.  Used the Tomcat NT Service setup with this command line:  jk_nt_service
-i JTomcat c:\JTomcat\wrapper.properties

Thanks in advance,

David Hamilton