Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Paul Kofon <pk...@hotmail.com> on 2002/03/27 16:57:25 UTC

Http Sessions and Browsers

Hi all,
I know that a session can be "killed" by calling session.invalidate() in a
jsp page. However, I'm not sure what happens when the browser is closed
before the session is "killed". Does the server (Tomcat, this time) still
hold references to objects that had been created or are they discarded? I
need to know for sure. Thanks.

Paul

RE: Http Sessions and Browsers

Posted by Laurent Comte <la...@oodrive.fr>.
All the informations bind to the session are destroyed when the session goes
invalid.

The session goes invalid when :
1/ You explicitly invalid it (session.invalidate())
2/ or the session expires on the server, after a certain amount of time of
inactivity (15 mns for example) from
the client attached to this session (time out).
Before the time out, all your objects are alive, and they will be killed at
the time out.
You can be notified of the session time-out by implementing a
HttpSessionBindingListener interface.
 (to do some cleaning or logging for example).

Hint : never try to detect when the browser or a window is closed, you will
never succeed it in all cases !

L.C.