Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/02 00:24:41 UTC

Review then commit, or commit then review?

So we should probably figure this out before we get any further. Are we
going to go with the review then commit model, or commit then review (i.e.,
ask permission or ask forgiveness)? Does anyone have any thoughts or
opinions on this?

A.

Re: Review then commit, or commit then review?

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
On 02/08/11 19:05, Peter Linnell` wrote:
> On 08/02/2011 01:57 PM, Andrew Bayer wrote:
>> I'm personally neutral on this. I've had more experience with
>> commit-then-review, but as Andrei pointed out, review-then-commit is more
>> common in the Hadoop world.
>>
>> I do think that at this point, when there are still fairly trivial
>> changes
>> to be made in terms of license headers, name changes, etc, that a hard
>> and
>> fast review-then-commit approach may be a little over the top. Some
>> flexibility definitely makes sense for now.

CTR is far more agile and used in most other ASF projects. RTC slows
down hadoop and creates more veto conflict -it may be appropriate when
the value of HDFS is the IPO value of Facebook and others, but not for
bigtop.

Re: Review then commit, or commit then review?

Posted by Peter Linnell` <pl...@cloudera.com>.
On 08/02/2011 01:57 PM, Andrew Bayer wrote:
> I'm personally neutral on this. I've had more experience with
> commit-then-review, but as Andrei pointed out, review-then-commit is more
> common in the Hadoop world.
>
> I do think that at this point, when there are still fairly trivial changes
> to be made in terms of license headers, name changes, etc, that a hard and
> fast review-then-commit approach may be a little over the top. Some
> flexibility definitely makes sense for now.
>
> A.

Agreed.  Let's get a first release out the door.

Peter

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.