Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Paul McKillop <pa...@hotmail.com> on 2006/06/21 20:34:14 UTC

Spamassassin RBL lists stopped working

My Spamassassin is no longer checking RBL lists for each incoming message,
and I've no idea why.

I installed Spamassassin on a new Centos server in February. The server runs
Exim and I manage it mostly through DirectAdmin (the install was using a
script that comes with DirectAdmin), I have a modest ability to manage a
linux machine from the command line.

Spamassassin ran perfectly well for a few months, catching 95%+ of spam,
mostly because of the RBL lists, I didn't know how to manage the Bayes
system and everything was functioning perfectly as it was, so I left it
alone. Then, all of a sudden, about a month ago, I start getting lots of
unmarked spam, and very little marked spam. Upon further investigation I saw
that no RBL lists where being checked.

I don't know why this occured, the only possibly relevent things that might
have occured around the same time was an automatic update to DirectAdmin and
the fact that I upped the spam threshold from 5 to 6 and changed the
Spamassassin settings for some domains to automtically delete the spam
messages from the server and not have the client download them. I didn't do
any other configuration changes to Spamassassin through DirectAdmin, and I
didn't do anything through the command line, or modify any config files.

I have now spent the last 2 days solid trying to investigate this issue and
fix it. Most of what I know about Spamassassin has been learnt in the last 2
days but I'm still stuck. A few more clues I have gathered are:

- If I run 'spamassassin -D -t < spamMsg.eml' through the command line I get
a high spam value and it checks the RBL lists as before and adds up all the
points, but the same message originally came through the system unmarked as
spam because the rbl lists where not checked.

- my /etc/virtual/use_rbl_domains file was empty, I've no idea if this was
empty or not originally, or if this has somehow happened since. I then
entered in 2 domains which I receive mail from and restarted Exim through
DirectAdmin, but I still got spam through one of those domains. I have since
restarted the whole server but have not yet received any marked or unmarked
spam.

I would be very grateful if anyone could even point me in the right
direction to resolve this issue, is it a Spamassassin issue or an Exim
issue? Our clients are starting to get a little angry about all this spam.
:(

Thanks,
PAUL.
Sent from the SpamAssassin - Users forum at Nabble.com.