Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com> on 2015/07/13 12:53:20 UTC

graph query helper?

For some reason I thought I saw a class/interface in the graph SPI that
assisted with queries.  I saw it in passing and thought:

a) it was for perofrming queries where knowning the query would help with
the access paths through the storage layser; and

b) I would get back to it and see what it really was and if I could use it
in a graph store I am working on.

Now I can't find it.  Was I hallucinating?  Was it in very old code?  Was
it in very new code?

Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about?

Dazed and confused,
Claude

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: graph query helper?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 13/07/15 11:53, Claude Warren wrote:
> For some reason I thought I saw a class/interface in the graph SPI that
> assisted with queries.  I saw it in passing and thought:
>
> a) it was for perofrming queries where knowning the query would help with
> the access paths through the storage layser; and
>
> b) I would get back to it and see what it really was and if I could use it
> in a graph store I am working on.
>
> Now I can't find it.  Was I hallucinating?  Was it in very old code?  Was
> it in very new code?
>
> Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about?
>
> Dazed and confused,
> Claude

Claude,

Old code?  The graph-level query code has gone because it wasn't used.
Maybe it was something in that you remember.

It only provided a limited form of conjunctive pattern and wasn't used
by SPARQL any more. Various optimizations possible like breaking up BGPs
to place filters don't mix well with multiple ways to do triple pattern
matching.  Instead, the Graph level is now simpler with general SPARQL
access is in jena-arq.

	Andy