Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Tor Arne Gustad <to...@stud.aitel.hist.no> on 2004/04/28 20:40:46 UTC

xalan-c on linux gcc 3.3 - memory leak

Hello!

I have recently been working on a daemon that will eventually be used to validate and transform various XML data from one structure to another. The initial work was done on a debian-computer with gcc 2.95.4, and when using LeakTracer to check my code I finally got rid of all memory leaks. All was good.

The work is unfortunately to be continued on another computer, one running gcc 3.3, but after compiling and running it there I noticed it had started leaking memory again. I tracked down the problem and found it had to do with the xalan-c library. I am pretty sure this doesn't have to do with my code, since I did some testing with an empty program (no includes, no function calls, just "int main(...){ }" ) and found that if I simply linked it to "libxalan-c.so", it lost exactly 1920 bytes. This does not occur by linking "libxerces-c.so" and "libxalanMsg.so".

I have tried several approaches to the problem including recompiling xalan with other flags, but nothing has helped. Here are a list of relevant information/libraries:
- linux 2.4.20
- gcc 3.3
- libstdc++.so.5.0.4
- libm-2.3.2.so