Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Vitaly Baranovsky <vi...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/04 10:09:58 UTC

Can I cluster my web-site written with jetspeed-2?

Good day!

How safe is Jetspeed-2 for a multi-node cluster deployment?  Does anyone on
this list have any experience deploying J2 on a cluster?  Can I cluster my
web-site (portal with many portlets) written with jetspeed-2? I'd just like
to hear about some of the pitfalls/experiences if anyone cares to share...

Thanks!

Re: Can I cluster my web-site written with jetspeed-2?

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Vitaly,

J2 can be clustered, but it depends on a few things externally and
whether you are allowing users to create pages and/or perform
administration tasks. I am sure there are other pitfalls out there, but
here are a few basic things that one must do:

1. J2 is generally stateful, so it depends on "sticky sessions". This
means that a single user should always be routed to a single machine
unless failover is done to prop up a failed box. Sticky sessions must be
managed externally using hardware/switches or in the container, (e.g.
Apache, Tomcat, ... etc.).

2. Unless the PSML is absolutely static, the Database Page Manager must
be used. This allows PSML changes to be shared between all clustered
machines. Make sure you review the DBPM configuration to get the
appropriate caching in place.

3. Care must be taken while rolling out new portlet apps. I do not know
all the details here, but one must prevent multiple J2 instances from
reregistering portlet applications out from under instances that have
successfully upgraded. One may need to manually deploy all but the first
copy of the new portlet application to keep the J2 registry intact. This
behavior is a bug and it should be resolved in the near future if it has
not already.

Please report any bugs you find while trying to make this work!

HTH,

Randy